[Libs-Or] Monkeypox info

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org
Sun Sep 4 14:38:12 PDT 2022

Hi folks,

I thought I'd pass along some information from Lincoln County Public Health about monkeypox. I had contacted them asking about whether we should be concerned about transmission through library upholstery or stuffed animals.

"Thank you for your question Kirsten. I have forwarded this on to our Public Information Officer and our epidemiologist. They will come back with a more detailed response. At this time, it is very low risk. The virus is not spreading in our Lincoln County currently. It also takes a lot of the virus to be exposed to contract it, which is why it is often described as prolonged skin to skin contact. With that said, there are documented cases of transmission through sleeping in the same bedding as someone with active pox, and there is concern for handling bedding and material of an individual of a positive case.

We are working on developing print materials and communications for safety in the workplace. We will get advise for library settings. We'll ensure to get those materials and resource to you as well.

Thankfully this is a slower spreading virus that takes longer exposure to contract, at much closer proximity to the viral source."

 [1529519400927_PastedImage]

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney, MLIS
LIBRARY DIRECTOR
__

City of Lincoln City  |  Driftwood Public Library
801 SW Hwy 101  |  PO Box 50  |  Lincoln City, OR
P: 541.996.1251  |  E: kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org
W: Driftwoodlib.org | W: LincolnCity.org