[Libs-Or] OLA Intellectual Freedom Committee is seeking new members

Perry Stokes director at bakerlib.org
Wed Sep 7 09:47:23 PDT 2022

REMINDER -- There is still time to submit your "Letter of Interest"
application to join the Oregon Library Association Intellectual Freedom
Committee
<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fwww.olaweb.org%2fif-home
&c=E,1,XTewfRfJn3vyJMfU7MPw7y57nFC5oNEU8ISZt-G34q7Wi4Pdi6eBi15pa3ckd7KEmSFtD
RDNbAzNhze44wLYqzrs-EwI3FF0Tr_LOAuQyRijEkKpVmFtTMo,&typo=1> . But don't wait
too long - the application window closes at the end of the day this Sunday.
Two positions open!

The original email with all of the details is below.

Testimonials from Members Past & Present

"I was new to the library profession when I joined the IFC in the early
2000s. At that time, it was eye opening to learn about current censorship
efforts right here in Oregon. Working with the other IFC members to promote
Banned Books Week, plan and present trainings at conferences, and support
libraries dealing with intellectual freedom issues took the anxiety-inducing
mystery out of it and helped me feel prepared to deal with challenges.
Serving on the IFC gave me an opportunity to expand my professional network
to include academic, school, and law library staff. Many of whom I still
reach out to for a second opinion, advice, and support."

-- Katie Anderson

    Youth Services Librarian, WCCLS

"Serving on the Intellectual Freedom Committee was a chance for me to work
on important issues with fantastic colleagues from around the state. Some of
the work was theoretical, but much of it was very real and challenging. It
was satisfying and gave me a greater understanding of and appreciation for
the Oregon Library Association."

--  Ross Betzer

     Youth Librarian, Multnomah County Library

"Working with the IFC has been some of the most intellectually stimulating
and rewarding volunteer work I've undertaken with OLA. I love the way that
it combines big difficult questions about intellectual freedom and our
profession's priorities and values AND nuts-and-bolts, nitty-gritty work
with individual libraries and specific circumstances. My membership in IFC
and my time as co-chair have definitely shaped the librarian I am today,
particularly in terms of my ability to explain IF topics to library staff
and patrons."

-- Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney

    Library Director, Driftwood Public Library

"Being a member of the Oregon Intellectual Freedom Committee is a practical
way I can actively support Oregon Libraries and stand up to censorship!"

-- Lori Moore

    Workforce Development Librarian, Multnomah County Library

"Serving on the Intellectual Freedom Committee has been one of the most
impactful professional experiences I have had. We help to educate about,
advocate for, and provide support to others defending a bedrock principle of
our democracy. What could be more worthwhile or desperately needed?"

-- Steve Silver

"This period of intense dogmatism and discord can be disheartening. But
through IFC membership, it's also an extraordinary opportunity for
education, influence, and tales of professional valor.  I highly recommend
it.  Not only do you get to work with a team of highly-skilled IFC and OLA
colleagues, but you're patched into the national support network of
ferocious librarians assembled to defend our national ideals of free
expression, individual choice, self-determination, due process, and the rule
of law. It's uplifting, inspiring, honorable work."

-- Perry Stokes

Library Director, Baker County Library District