[Libs-Or] Sideloading Libby APK on Kindle Fire

Matthew Baiocchi mbaiocchi at lincolncity.org
Thu Sep 8 15:00:04 PDT 2022

I just had a patron come in and tell me of a message they received when they opened OverDrive on their Kindle Fire which stated that the OverDrive app was going away in 2023. The patron was then prompted to download the Libby APK and sideload it onto their device.

Adhering to "trust but verify," I went to OverDrive's site and found this page - https://www.overdrive.com/apps/libby/kindlefire - telling patrons to sideload Libby. I am not a big fan of telling patrons to sideload anything on their devices, even legit APKs.

Anyone know more about this? Is it likely Libby will be approved by Amazon before next year? If not, will OverDrive actually get rid of the OverDrive app?

Matthew Baiocchi
REFERENCE LIBRARIAN
__

City of Lincoln City  |  Driftwood Public Library
801 SW Hwy 101  |  PO Box 50  |  Lincoln City, OR
P: 541.996.1261  |  E: mbaiocchi at lincolncity.org<mailto:mbaiocchi at lincolncity.org>
W: Driftwoodlib.org | W: LincolnCity.org

ook