[Libs-Or] Wellington Board of Trustees takes action against book bans in the town's public library

Matthew Baiocchi mbaiocchi at lincolncity.org
Fri Sep 16 20:45:33 PDT 2022

>From here: https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/local/2022/09/14/wellington-board-trustees-book-ban-public-library-through-resolution/69493542007/

Quotes from the article:

"Nearly a month after a resident group sought to ban or restrict books at  Wellington's public library, the town's governing board voted in favor  of a resolution that prevents the board from restricting access to  materials at the library."

"In her comments Tuesday night, Christine Gaiter referred to the books  as 'pornographic materials,' and said the public library should not  'endorse children to read pornography without a parent's permission.'"

"An overwhelming majority of residents who packed the community board  room Tuesday made public comments to the board in favor of the  resolution that effectively bans any book ban at the library."

Several comments elicited tears from the audience and trustees as two  residents shared powerful personal testimonies of surviving suicide  attempts and sexual abuse because public libraries gave them access to  books that made them feel understood and less alone. "

"Mayor pro-tem Ashley Macdonald thanked residents  who 'had the courage to share their survivor stories today. I do not  have the courage to share my survivor story today, but if it wasn’t for  the public library,”\' Macdonald paused and choked back tears before  continuing her comments. 'I didn’t get my education from pornography.'

Dailey also spoke to the decision to refer to the books as pornography.

'To allege that (library) staff are providing pornography to children, it’s obviously not true, it’s disgusting,' Dailey said. "

"One of Wellington’s younger residents also chose to address the board.

'Not to be rude, but you can’t tell me what I can and can’t read,' Sienna Zadina said. "

"'This isn’t about left or right, this is about parenting,' Macdonald said. 'I don’t want anyone in this room telling me how to parent my child and I won’t tell you how to parent yours.'"

Matthew Baiocchi
REFERENCE LIBRARIAN
__

City of Lincoln City  |  Driftwood Public Library
801 SW Hwy 101  |  PO Box 50  |  Lincoln City, OR
P: 541.996.1261  |  E: mbaiocchi at lincolncity.org<mailto:mbaiocchi at lincolncity.org>
W: Driftwoodlib.org | W: LincolnCity.org

ook