[Libs-Or] Graduate Student Research Help Request

VERVILLE Sadie * SLO Sadie.VERVILLE at slo.oregon.gov
Mon Apr 10 14:15:25 PDT 2023

Hello, I am passing along a message I received from a graduate student looking for librarian participation in a survey for her research on intersectionality in children's picture books. Her email is alena6 at pdx.edu<mailto:alena6 at pdx.edu>.
Dear Librarian,
My name is Alena Rivas, and I am reaching out to you today to request your assistance with my graduate research project. My research question is as follows: Which intersectional identities remain underrepresented in diverse US children's picture books?
I have created a survey that I hope you will take. You can access the survey here<https://portlandstate.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6VvWXrGoRmpwkV8>. This survey has been approved by Portland State University's Institutional Review Board to ensure ethical practices in human subject research. Any librarian who elects to take and submit this survey would be doing so anonymously as no identifiable personal information is requested or gathered, including email addresses.
You can elect not to take this survey without repercussion. You also have the option to stop taking the survey at any time. The only anticipated risk associated with taking this survey is the time it will take you to complete it, which should be no more than 10-15 minutes.
The goal of this research is to identify which intersectional identities remain underrepresented in US children's picture books so that I can share this information with the publishing industry at large and together, we can work to ensure that all children have the joy and other developmental and emotional benefits of seeing themselves represented in the books they read.
This survey will close by 11:45 pm PST on April 30, 2023.
Sincerely,
Alena Rivas