[Libs-Or] California Newsreel

Max Macias max.macias at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 07:03:47 PST 2023

[California Newsreel has an amazing library of films!]

About California Newsreel

California Newsreel has produced and distributed cutting-edge social issue
films for activists and educators since 1968. Today it is the oldest,
independent non-profit documentary center in the country and the first
systematically to integrate media production and distribution with the
media needs of contemporary social change movements.
*Media Resources for African American Educators and Communities*

Over the past five decades, California Newsreel .has become a leading
resource center for advancing racial justice through its unparalleled
collection of films on African American and African life and history. This
course was already charted by our first two productions in 1969,
collaborations with the Black Panther Party and the organizers of the first
Ethnic Studies Department in the country. Since then we have regularly
acquired distinguished documentaries on topics of pressing concern to
African American communities. During the 1980s, California Newsreel
provided many of the audiovisual resources used by the anti-Apartheid
movement and, upon its triumph, broadened our collection into the largest
library of African-produced features and documentaries in the United
States. .In the 1990s, California Newsreel releases, such as *Ethnic
Notions* <http://newsreel.org/video/ETHNIC-NOTIONS> and *Skin Deep*
<http://newsreel.org/video/SKIN-DEEP>, played a useful role on campuses
across America in introducing multicultural education and diversity
awareness. Today we distribute more than 150 titles on African American and
African topics on DVD as well as the leading digital delivery formats –
site/local streaming, video-on-demand subscriptions, online database
collections and digital rental.
California Newsreel  <https://newsreel.org/>
--
-
Max Macias [image: A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in

Social media is mind control.

The ideas expressed in these emails in no way represent any organization's
viewpoints, or opinions.  The opinions, ideas and reflections are my own
personal intellectual property.

Publishing

Lowrider Librarian <http://lowriderlibrarian.blogspot.com/>
Librarians With Spines  <https://www.librarianswithspines.com/>