[Libs-Or] AI Article: Why you shouldn’t trust AI search engines

Matthew Baiocchi mbaiocchi at lincolncity.org
Wed Feb 15 10:31:01 PST 2023

AI seems to be everywhere all of the sudden...students writing papers, medical professionals diagnosing patients, job applicants writing cover letters, and people using it for authoritative searching.

This took me all by surprise, so I was recommended a great article by Melissa Heikkilä as a bit of a primer: https://www.technologyreview.com/2023/02/14/1068498/why-you-shouldnt-trust-ai-search-engines/

The bad news? "AI language models are notorious bullshitters, often presenting falsehoods as facts. They are excellent at predicting the next word in a sentence, but they have no knowledge of what the sentence actually means. That makes it incredibly dangerous to combine them with search, where it’s crucial to get the facts straight."

Anyone out there familiar with AI and what it might mean for patrons, students, and library staff?

Happy Wednesday, all!

Matthew Baiocchi
REFERENCE LIBRARIAN
__

City of Lincoln City  |  Driftwood Public Library
801 SW Hwy 101  |  PO Box 50  |  Lincoln City, OR
P: 541.996.1261  |  E: mbaiocchi at lincolncity.org
W: Driftwoodlib.org | W: LincolnCity.org

ook