[Libs-Or] Civics for Adults Update

dcohen at hevanet.com dcohen at hevanet.com
Mon Jan 9 09:53:40 PST 2023

Civics for Adults Update, January 8, 2023. Happy New Year!!

Upcoming

Citizen Activism 101-Making Change Happen

Wednesday, January 11, 6-7:30 EST! Stoughton Public Library [MASS]. Virtual.

Register:
<https://www.sharonpubliclibrary.org/?fbclid=IwAR1OJLYsy3Yv9Ols0ewK4v0Goji9T
Q31zqB8BwJAKCupGH13csPckOTNl7s>
https://www.sharonpubliclibrary.org/?fbclid=IwAR1OJLYsy3Yv9Ols0ewK4v0Goji9TQ
31zqB8BwJAKCupGH13csPckOTNl7s

Sunday, February 5, 2:30-4:00. PST. Hillsboro Public Library [OR]. Virtual

Register: WCCLS website if WCCLS patron or TBA

*	Historical perspective
*	Examples of successful advocacy
*	Types of advocacy
*	Who makes the rules?
*	Tools / strategies for change
*	Engaging with government / lobbying for influence
*	Tracking legislation

Beyond Voting: Elections and Campaign Finance

Wednesday, February 15, 3:00. EST! Stoughton Public Library [MASS]. Virtual

Register: TBA

*	Right to vote?
*	Voter suppression
*	Election 2024 issues
*	Redistricting / gerrymandering
*	Electoral College
*	Alternative voting systems
*	Campaign financing issues and tracking

Selected Civics for Adults Facebook posts:

Final January 6 Committee Report.

<https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/23515172/report_finalreport_jan6sele
ctcommittee.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0GSbxM1eMsIYRPbUU3wl0EhIJsmTB0HuskzX8u0j9YUV4ITa1
CNPbV408>
https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/23515172/report_finalreport_jan6selec
tcommittee.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0GSbxM1eMsIYRPbUU3wl0EhIJsmTB0HuskzX8u0j9YUV4ITa1C
NPbV408

Final January 6 Committee meeting.

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5olnF549kNE&list=PL2dydN2nCana-R0ixhCS8rs2f
INV2RPXk&index=44&t=21s>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5olnF549kNE&list=PL2dydN2nCana-R0ixhCS8rs2fI
NV2RPXk&index=44&t=21s

**

The Omnibus spending bill passed by Congress also included changes to the
Electoral Count Act. The reforms clarify and tighten up the process of
counting presidential electoral votes submitted by the states to Congress
and will make it far less likely that a Jan 6-type event could happen.

This was a bipartisan effort.

<https://www.npr.org/2022/12/22/1139951463/electoral-count-act-reform-passes
?fbclid=IwAR2zaMOB5Fih2F2bbkQYSUiBEeDfZb5NXwAeM4_QkhXmY9OVrFRfi6_LX3k>
https://www.npr.org/2022/12/22/1139951463/electoral-count-act-reform-passes?
fbclid=IwAR2zaMOB5Fih2F2bbkQYSUiBEeDfZb5NXwAeM4_QkhXmY9OvrFRfi6_LX3k

**

It's nice to see that what I've been doing in my Misinformation workshop for
the past 6 years has gained some popularity in the mainstream press!

False information is everywhere. 'Pre-bunking' tries to head it off early

<https://www.npr.org/2022/10/28/1132021770/false-information-is-everywhere-p
re-bunking-tries-to-head-it-off-early?ft=nprml&f=1132021770&fbclid=IwAR2jDzE
L8YgIYMsLvLc75nTiI6mJaR93vzpDjxtQx0fkjpgxsmFs1m8ZDHc>
https://www.npr.org/2022/10/28/1132021770/false-information-is-everywhere-pr
e-bunking-tries-to-head-it-off-early?ft=nprml&f=1132021770&fbclid=IwAR2jDzEL
8YgIYMsLvLc75nTiI6mJaR93vzpDjxtQx0fkjpgxsmFs1m8ZDHc

**

We need these types of tools. Deepfake technologies just keep getting more
sophisticated. The implications - like for election seasons - are scary.

Intel Says Its Deepfake Detector Has 96% Accuracy

<https://gizmodo.com/intel-deep-fake-ai-1849795542?fbclid=IwAR1Ku-PYiP8aovRT
riNCXWyxC94QGGBuV10WR5RD52eWSuq0mWwIb-1wvPY>
https://gizmodo.com/intel-deep-fake-ai-1849795542?fbclid=IwAR1Ku-PyiP8aovRTr
iNCXWyxC94QGGBuV10WR5RD52eWSuq0mWwIb-1wvPY

**

Policy Basics: Introduction to the Federal Budget Process

<https://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-budget/introduction-to-the-federal-bu
dget-process?fbclid=IwAR2CZ2FwlWZ_zDn2HhRdZ9VNDLlOVq867z76WsjS1R14LMR3wehNDL
kM124>
https://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-budget/introduction-to-the-federal-bud
get-process?fbclid=IwAR2CZ2FwlWZ_zDn2HhRdZ9VNDLlOVq867z76WsjS1R14LMR3wehNDLk
M124

More at  <https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036>
https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036

Ask your local library or community group to sponsor a workshop! Thanks.

Flyer describing workshops:
<https://static.s123-cdn.com/uploads/2516289/normal_5fe8c854352d5.pdf>
https://static.s123-cdn.com/uploads/2516289/normal_5fe8c854352d5.pdf

Donna L Cohen, MLIS, MEd

Portland, Oregon

503-737-1425

dcoheninfo at comcast.net <mailto:dcoheninfo at comcast.net>

Civics for Adults - and Others - Workshops: To Enhance Civic Knowledge and
Inspire Political Engagement

Webpage www.civicthinker.info <http://www.civicthinker.info/>

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036/

"My philosophy is very simple. When you see something that is not fair, not
right, not just - stand up, say something, speak up!" Rep. John Lewis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6lzPpqc2WY