[Libs-Or] History Unfolded : US Newspapers and the Holocaust project - Volunteer Opportunity

CURRY Jerry * SLO Jerry.W.CURRY at slo.oregon.gov
Mon Jun 5 17:22:48 PDT 2023

Hello all,

Posting on behalf of: Megan Storken.  Please see below.

---------

Hello!

The History Unfolded: US Newspapers and the Holocaust<https://newspapers.ushmm.org/> team at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum needs the help of citizen researchers in Oregon! History Unfolded asks students, teachers, and history buffs throughout the United States to uncover what was possible for Americans to have known about the Holocaust as it was happening, and how Americans responded. Participants look in local newspapers for news and opinion about 45 different Holocaust-era events and submit articles to the project database.

Our project is missing significant research from Oregon newspapers, especially the Oregon Journal and the Oregonian. It is our understanding that both newspapers are available online to Oregon residents with library cards. We are also in need of coverage from many other local newspapers in the state. If this is something you would be interested in helping with, please visit https://newspapers.ushmm.org<https://newspapers.ushmm.org/> to create an account and get started. Then, use our contact community manager message to let us know, so we can help you get started and make sure you are not duplicating someone else's work: https://newspapers.ushmm.org/message/manager.

If you are interested in submitting articles right away, we have a few tips on where to start:
1.       If possible, start off with a daily newspaper and definitely with one that subscribed to either the AP or UP wire services.
2.       Check the History Unfolded database to make sure you are not duplicating research. Here is a guide for how to check the database<https://newspapers.ushmm.org/blog/2017/09/14/how-do-i-upload-articles-not-yet-in-the-database/>.
3.       Begin with topics like Nazis Boycott Jewish Businesses<https://newspapers.ushmm.org/events/nazis-boycott-jewish-businesses> or Anti-Jewish Riots Convulse German Reich (Kristallnacht)<https://newspapers.ushmm.org/events/anti-jewish-riots-convulse-german-reich-kristallnacht>, if we don't already have a large number of approved submissions from your chosen newspapers on these topics. These events were very likely to be reported and more likely to appear on the front page than many other events. When you are getting started using microfilm, this can help you get adjusted to the process.
4.       Then you can move on to events where there may or may not be reporting, and they may be more likely to appear on inside pages of the paper.

If you would like additional information on the project, we are happy to answer any questions you may have, via phone or email.

Thank you in advance for your help or possible interest!
Megan Storkan History Unfolded Contractor
History Unfolded Project: https://newspapers.ushmm.org/
United States Holocaust Memorial Museum www.ushmm.org<http://www.ushmm.org/>
Connect with #History Unfolded on Social Media!
 [http://i.imgbox.com/G3tTaESz.png] <https://www.facebook.com/groups/487541611425502/>   [http://i.imgbox.com/4cIbfU9A.png] <https://twitter.com/Eric_USHMM>  [http://i.imgbox.com/MowmaufR.png] <https://www.linkedin.com/in/epschm>
NEVER AGAIN: WHAT YOU DO MATTERS
Support<http://www.ushmm.org/campaign/> the Campaign for the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum

Jerry Curry (he/him/his)
Reference Librarian/eClips Editor<https://statelibraryeclips.wordpress.com/>
jerry.w.curry at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:jerry.w.curry at slo.oregon.gov>
971-283-6681
www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[cid:image001.png at 01D997D0.6A24D210]