[Libs-Or] Even More on White Privilege

Holly Freewynn hollyf at multco.us
Fri Mar 3 10:36:13 PST 2023

Matthew,
Such an excellent manner in presenting these data. I thank you for it. I
REALLY appreciate the call in to talk to other white folks, so as not to
continually burden our BIPOC colleagues.
As a cis, white, Lesbian mom, I am always in learning mode. I trip up, YES
I DO, and I still learn and hope I am growing. As I try to lead my team to
anti racist perspectives, I have gratitude for the rich resources offered
from our EDIA committee and their efforts. It feels big, but it takes ONE
PERSON AT A TIME. One conversation at a time. One article at a time. One
exercise at a time. One movie at a time. My practice is to stay in the
present for each opportunity to immerse myself in the myriad issues we NEED
to learn to do right and dismantle centuries of harm.
In solidarity,
Holly Freewynn

On Fri, Mar 3, 2023 at 10:27 AM Matthew Baiocchi via Libs-Or <
libs-or at omls.oregon.gov> wrote:

> External -
> [image: External Sender]
>
> Believe in white privilege and systemic racism? Love is doing something.
> Contact the wonderful people on the OLA EDIA committee(1), contact the
> groovy folk at the Unpacking Discussion Group(2), grab the nearest white
> person and start talking, and/or email me and start talking(3). DO NOT
> talk to your BIPOC friends or colleagues, they have enough without having
> to explain to another white person - yet again - what's going on. DO listen
> to your BIPOC friends and colleagues...actually listen...really
> listen...and learn.
>

> Don't believe in white privilege? Don't believe in systemic racism? Are(4)
> you(5) really(6) sure(7) about(8) that(9)? There(10) seem(11) to(12) be
> (13) a(14) lot(15) of(16) indicators(17) in(18) our(19)...ahhh(20)
> ...system(21) that(22) point(23) to(24) huge(25) disparities(26) in(27)
> almost(28) every(29) aspect(30) of(31) American(32) life(33) that(34)
> would(35) seem(36) to(37) indicate(38) otherwise(39). Still(40) don't(41)
> believe(42)? I would really love to hear from you and learn why you
> (dis)believe what you do?(43) We can even go to personal emails so
> everything stays nice and confidential.
>

> Three days in a row y'all have put up with me, and I thank you for your
> patience. I'll be taking the weekend off. It's a three day weekend (woot!)
> for me. I hope yours is pleasant, and if you're working, I hope your
> #SaturdayLibrarian/#SundayLibrarian shift goes quickly and quietly.
>

> 1 - edicommittee at olaweb.org
>
> 2 - https://unpackingdiscussion.weebly.com/about--contact.html
>
> 3 - mbaiocchi at lincolncity.org
>
> 4 - Hard Lessons, Hard Time: The School-to-Prison Pipeline,
> https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/11/school-to-prison-pipeline-black-kids-trauma.html
>
> 5 - Minorities Who 'Whiten' Job Resumes Get More Interviews,
> https://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/minorities-who-whiten-job-resumes-get-more-interviews
>
> 6 - The Economic Cost of Racial Inequality in the U.S.,
> https://icg.citi.com/icghome/what-we-think/citigps/insights/closing-the-racial-inequality-gaps-20200922
>
> 7 - Women in the Workforce: The Gender Pay Gap Is Greater for Certain
> Racial and Ethnic Groups and Varies by Education Level,
> https://www.gao.gov/products/gao-23-106041
>
> 8 - "Family Achievements?": How a College Degree Accumulates Wealth for
> Whites and Not For Blacks,
> https://research.stlouisfed.org/publications/review/2017/02/15/family-achievements-how-a-college-degree-accumulates-wealth-for-whites-and-not-for-blacks/
>
> 9 - Systemic Inequality: Displacement, Exclusion, and Segregation How
> America's Housing System Undermines Wealth Building in Communities of Color,
>
> https://www.americanprogress.org/article/systemic-inequality-displacement-exclusion-segregation/
>
> 10 - Blacks and Hispanics face extra challenges in getting home loans,
> [...]
[This email was encrypted for your privacy and security]