[Libs-Or] Invitation to participate in national survey about services to refugees in public libraries

Pan, Xue xuepan at ou.edu
Fri Mar 3 08:08:35 PST 2023

Hello,

My name is Xue, a doctoral student from The University of Oklahoma School of Library and Information Studies. I am helping my supervisor Dr. Abbas recruit participants for her research project. Could you help us to distribute this survey? I appreciate your help so much!

Are you responsible for developing and delivering programming and services for refugees in your community? Given the important role public libraries play in the lives of this extremely vulnerable population, there is a strong need for better understanding of libraries’ roles and practices in meeting the needs of refugees. And because refugees may have gone through extremely traumatic experiences, it is also critical to investigate if and how public libraries serving refugee communities adopt and implement trauma-informed and culturally sensitive practices and programs to meet their needs.  Our research team (Drs. June Abbas [School of Library & Information Studies], Chie Noyori-Corbett [Zarrow School of Social Work], and Jiening Ruan [Jeannine Rainbolt College of Education]) is conducting a national survey (funded by the Institute for Museum and Library Services) investigating the status and conditions of refugee services in public libraries across the United States. We invite you to participate in our survey by going to: https://ousurvey.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eJORfp1QIxadYpw. The survey will take approximately 15-20 minutes to complete. We plan to present the results of the survey at a future ALA conference and to share your insights widely on social media and our project website. We want to hear from you about how your libraries are meeting this critical social need! If you have any questions about participating in the survey, please contact me at: jmabbas at ou.edu.

Thank you for considering this invitation.

June Abbas