[Libs-Or] That's all, folks.

Matthew Baiocchi mbaiocchi at lincolncity.org
Thu Mar 9 17:09:09 PST 2023

My initial goal with these emails was to have a month where, every day, white people learned more about systemic racism and, in the smallest of ways, experienced the daily mental and emotional load BIPOC have to work under. The danger, of course, being this is a public space and BIPOC would be negatively impacted by a bunch of white folk learning about and discussing systemic racism.

I was told earlier today that I am hurting some BIPOC colleagues, that the pain I am causing in doing this is outweighing any possible good that could come from it. If you don't understand how that could be, read April Hathcock's, Your Learning Hurts (https://aprilhathcock.wordpress.com/2020/01/21/your-learning-hurts/).

I knew this was a possibility, in fact, it was going to be the subject of an upcoming email. However, given the hurt I am causing, it is  time to stop.

To my BIPOC colleagues, I am sorry for causing you pain.

To my white colleagues, it is my greatest hope that you begin, or continue, to learn about our role in systemic racism. Here are some resources:

- OLA EDIA committee resources, https://ola.memberclicks.net/ola-edi-antiracism-committee-training-resources

- Unpacking discussion group resources, https://unpackingdiscussion.weebly.com/resources.html

-  Karla J. Strand, DPhil, MLIS, Disrupting Whiteness in Libraries and Librarianship: A Reading List, https://www.library.wisc.edu/gwslibrarian/bibliographies/disrupting-whiteness-in-libraries/

Matthew Baiocchi
REFERENCE LIBRARIAN
__

City of Lincoln City  |  Driftwood Public Library
801 SW Hwy 101  |  PO Box 50  |  Lincoln City, OR
P: 541.996.1261  |  E: mbaiocchi at lincolncity.org<mailto:mbaiocchi at lincolncity.org>
W: Driftwoodlib.org | W: LincolnCity.org

ook