[Libs-Or] Supporting your fellow librarians and our communities

OLA Legislative Committee Co-Chair ldlcchair at olaweb.org
Mon Mar 20 16:37:10 PDT 2023

*Looking for an easy way to support your fellow librarians and our
communities that will take just a few minutes of your time?*

There are two OLA bills that have been scheduled for public hearings and
work sessions in the Oregon Legislature on March 30th at 3pm in the Senate
Education Committee. We hope you will submit a letter or two in support of
the bills before the hearing. Letters of support can make a big difference
in the decision-making process.

*School Media Program Standards:*

SB 1075
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wgUakuRpINxoI7ro__ceLv3r5K0MgxB-O2wVgQh8QIU/edit?usp=sharing>
- Adds requirements to ODE regarding school media program standards, that
will require the agency to hire a full-time staff position dedicated to
school library programs to execute the work and push for strong school
library programs inside the agency.

*Broadband Infrastructure:*

SB 885
<https://uws0-my.sharepoint.com/:b:/g/personal/kolson_uws_edu/ETPGLGlLlRBFllSfyVAvTuMBZewEHwLDfeqEDKFN14CQbg?e=E5RZjg>
– Would provide $750,000 to the Connecting Oregon Libraries Fund for
matching federal broadband infrastructure grants and funding for a
part-time E-Rate consultant to help public libraries apply for E-Rate
funds, contracted out at the State Library of Oregon.

*We are looking for letters of support for these bills*. Please take the
time to write a letter on one or both bills using the attached template and
adding in your own take. Legislators appreciate hearing personalized
stories. Please feel free to add in anecdotal evidence to help make our
case for needed funding for broadband and to support school libraries.

Submit your testimony here
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/olis.oregonlegislature.gov/liz/2023R1/Testimony/SED__;!!JsVmmI8-!LRnE22knHo_rKvhBU0MHhZ5z0IX8fh9z8xk1PfPIKcOn9guCQQYflAqwGv_OAqlFvChyEZfFF2xgkFbNy92FiA$>!
Pick March 30th from the drop down then click the bill you wish to weigh in
on (SB 885 or SB 1075), then fill out the form and upload your letter then
hit submit.

Need help? Here is a link that helps explain how to submit your testimony
on OLIS and has a video example
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.oregonlegislature.gov/citizen_engagement/Pages/Submit-Exhibits.aspx__;!!JsVmmI8-!LRnE22knHo_rKvhBU0MHhZ5z0IX8fh9z8xk1PfPIKcOn9guCQQYflAqwGv_OAqlFvChyEZfFF2xgkFZ1wXUqGg$>.
If you still need help, contact tess at miliocapitolconsulting.com.

*Basic Support Letter Template:*

*Template for Letter:*

March 30, 2023

Senate Committee on Education

900 Court St NE, HR B

Salem, OR 97301

Chair Dembrow, Vice Chair Weber and Members of the Committee:

I am writing to support SB 885/1075.

*(Add in why you think it is important…*

*Any personal stories/experiences to share to illustrate your point?*

*1-4 paragraphs is ideal.)*

Thank you for your time and consideration. I urge you to pass SB 1075/885.

Sincerely,

(add name and title)

******
Kim Olson-Charles
Library Development & Legislative Committee, Co-Chair 2021-2022
Oregon Library Association
ldlcchair at olaweb.org
503-206-3202 (w)
Pronouns: she/her