[Libs-Or] IFC Tuesday Topics: Banned Books Recap

Intellectual Freedom Committee ifc.chair at olaweb.org
Tue Nov 7 13:21:30 PST 2023

Hi all,
For late October / early November Tuesday Topics, provided to you by the
Intellectual Freedom Committee, we share with you the following Banned
Books Week Recap:
[image: image.png]

*OCTOBER/NOVEMBER 2023 *

Welcome to Tuesday Topics, a monthly series covering topics with
intellectual freedom implications for libraries of all types. Each message
is prepared by a member of OLA's Intellectual Freedom Committee (IFC) or a
guest writer. Questions can be directed to the author of the topic or to
the IFC.

*BANNED BOOKS WEEK 2023 “SHOW-AND-TELL”*

Every year, libraries across the country and Oregon celebrate Banned Books
Week <https://bannedbooksweek.org/>. See the August 2023 Tuesday Topic
<https://www.olaweb.org/intellectual-freedom-resources> that offered
suggestions for participating. In these celebrations, we put forth time,
energy, and effort to celebrate the freedom to read. We put forward weeks,
sometimes months, in preparation and marketing to make these events a
success. For this month’s Tuesday Topics, we want to honor and celebrate
these efforts and take a moment to say “thank you” for supporting
intellectual freedom across the state. Below are just a handful of the
highlights from the week.

>From the IFC, THANK YOU for celebrating!

*Linfield University - McMinnville*

In addition to handing out bookmarks, stickers, and candy, the library
distributed 116 copies of *Gender Queer*. The library also made sure to
purchase several of 2022's most-challenged books not already in its
collections (and then made a LibGuide
<https://linfield.libguides.com/bannedbooks>).
________________________________

*Central Oregon: Let Freedom Read Rally organized by Redmond Collective
Action *The 2nd annual Let Freedom Read rally was held in Redmond Sunday
afternoon, October 8th. The community event was organized by Redmond
Collective Action to celebrate the right to read whatever you want. Free
food, drinks, and activities were provided, books were read out loud, and
hundreds of free books were available for people of all ages to choose from.
Totes were provided by Deschutes Public Library (DPL), and a speech was
given by Emily O’Neal, who is with the IFC and DPL. Here is more
information about the b <https://centraloregondaily.com/let-freedom-read/>ook
distribution <https://centraloregondaily.com/let-freedom-read/> and
about Redmond
Collective Action <https://redmondcollectiveaction.org/about-us/>.

________________________________

*Central Oregon: Roundabout Books*

[image:
https://www.roundaboutbookshop.com/sites/roundaboutbookshop.com/files/Lit%20Trivia%20Banner%20Benned%20Books.png]

________________________________

*Tigard Public Library*

Here are a few things we did over at the Tigard Public Library to promote
Banned Books Week:

●        We set up a visual display in one of our glass showcases with
colorful graphics, statements, and other information taken from the ALA, as
well as caution-tape book covers with descriptors of the relevant
terminology used to ban them:

●        We had a banned books display for adults, for patrons to browse
and borrow:

●        There was also a contest to “Guess the Banned Book!” For this
contest, we tore a banned book into shreds and displayed the torn pieces in
a glass jar; patrons could try to guess what the book title was to win a
prize:

●        We have a dedicated display in our Teen Area that featured
prominent YA banned titles:

●        Our Teen Librarian also created dedicated shelf talkers
highlighting banned books found all over the stacks:

●        We also had a large banned books bulletin board in our Children’s
Area promoting the topic.

_______________________________

*Lake Oswego Public Library*

This year, LOPL went big and made it Banned Books Month! Here is the complete
list of programming planned
<https://www.ci.oswego.or.us/library/october-freedom-read-month-lopl>.

________________________________

*Pendleton Public Library *Library staff organized an event
<https://www.eastoregonian.com/community/news/program-focuses-on-freedom-to-read/article_97418990-5766-11ee-87be-0b110b5ba1c6.html>
that featured three speakers who shared about book burning in Germany, the
First Amendment, and education.

________________________________

*Coos Bay Public Library*

Coos Bay Public Library held a “banned books bingo
<https://www.facebook.com/CoosBayPublicLibrary/posts/pfbid032HbDPXLK9UxzcJiNnZoxwXmn5BE14rRgVkAXSXZ5M9fdMYAGN7PFZNTtKJJov8ycl>”
event.

________________________________

*Deschutes Public Library in partner with Osher Lifelong Learning Institute
at University of Oregon Cascades*
They offered a program
<https://www.deschuteslibrary.org/calendar/event/70984> about the
foundations of intellectual freedom, and the recording
<https://youtu.be/WsmyYuQUF0g?si=uYNshfWyXervbNjs> is available for anyone
to watch. In addition, the library launched a Freedom of Information website
<https://deschuteslibrary.org/intfreedom/>.

Chair - ifc.chair at olaweb.org
Intellectual Freedom Committee https://www.olaweb.org/if-home
Oregon Library Association https://www.olaweb.org/