[Libs-Or] Banned Books Week - launching PDSAL and Fight for the First campaign

Intellectual Freedom Committee ifc.chair at olaweb.org
Wed Oct 4 07:46:18 PDT 2023

Hi Oregon Library Community,
First, I just want to say "Happy Banned Books Week! And Let Freedom Read!"
I know so many of you are doing a wide variety of awareness activities this
week, from displays to presentations, to webinars, handing out totes and
pins - I can't wait to see it all compiled and shared in next month's
Tuesday Topic from the IFC.  If you have something to share, it isn't too
late, send it our way!

Second, I am so thrilled to launch and announce two new initiatives here in
Oregon to help support IF and combate censorship.

The first, the IFC has been working closely with the founder of a new
non-profit, Parents Defending Schools and Libraries.  PDSAL.org.  The
intention of this non-profit is to help us gain grassroots support for
libraries in the communities where the challenge is occurring.  This would
be an organized group of concerned parents, teachers, community members to
come together and stand-up for intellectual freedom when these challenges
arise.  I encourage all of you to sign-up and share widely in all of your
communities, professional organizations and networks.

Second, you may have seen in the news ongoing concern regarding the
removal, restriction, and relabeling of materials in Canby School
District.  See:
https://www.kgw.com/article/news/education/members-of-the-oregon-library-association-said-proper-protocol-was-not-followed-in-the-removal-of-a-book-in-the-canby-school-district/283-01b49265-8aba-4c32-8770-57241785495c#:~:text=Complaints%20from%20two%20community%20members,Keinonen%2C%20a%20former%20Canby%20student
.

With this, a campaign with Fightforthefirst.org was started to gain
signatures and petition for the return of these materials to their original
status, on the shelves, unlabeled or restricted.  If you would like to join
this particular effort, I encourage you to sign up here:
https://www.fightforthefirst.org/petitions/parents-defending-school-and-libraries-canby

Finally, this year the IFC would like to be more open and available as
challenges occur in your districts, areas, and libraries.  We encourage
anyone experiencing issues to please reach out to the IFC at
ifc.chair at olaweb.org and/or ifcmembers at olaweb.org.  We would also be happy
to share here on libs-or board meetings or situations where we feel we
might need more vocal and in-person support.  If you are in the area of a
challenge and need in-person support, we want to try and rally that support
via this library community through libs-or.  Please let us know if you are
needing this level of attendance and we are happy to help raise that
awareness for you.

Thank you all once again for all your work fighting for the rights of your
library users and communities!  Keep it up! And know that you have support!
Best,
IFC
Emily O'Neal - Chair

Chair - ifc.chair at olaweb.org