[Libs-Or] ACLU PDSAL FOIA Request for Canby

Intellectual Freedom Committee ifc.chair at olaweb.org
Fri Oct 6 08:13:02 PDT 2023

Hi all,

I just wanted to share with you this update from the IFC and happenings
across Oregon as an FYI.  Partially, because of my role with the IFC, and
partially just for awareness of issues across the state.

Hello Library Community,

I wanted to share with you that yesterday afternoon the ACLU of Oregon and
Parents Defending Schools and Libraries (pdsal.org) submitted an official
Public Records Request to Canby School District regarding the removal,
restriction and relabeling of library materials. The FOIA request was
delivered to the school board yesterday (see link) and ACLU Oregon has
begun to share on their social media pages.
https://www.aclu-or.org/en/press-releases/aclu-oregon-and-parents-defending-schools-and-libraries-pdsal-file-records-request

For those of you unaware, Parents Defending Schools and Libraries is a new
nonprofit organization with the intention of supporting IF in schools and
libraries.  The IFC has been working closely with the founder, Darin, who
is an ex-officio member of our committee.

Hopefully this information is helpful, or at the least, insightful.  Let me
know if you have any questions on this (or any other incidents across the
state).

Emily

Chair - ifc.chair at olaweb.org
Intellectual Freedom Committee https://www.olaweb.org/if-home