[Libs-Or] 2023 Federal Depository Library of the Year!

CORNELISEN Wendy * SLO Wendy.CORNELISEN at slo.oregon.gov
Mon Oct 16 13:02:24 PDT 2023

I am very pleased and proud to announce that the U.S. Government Publishing Office (GPO) has chosen the State Library of Oregon and Portland State University as the 2023 Federal Depository Library of the Year. This honor is bestowed on libraries that demonstrate excellence in their role in the Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP). PSU is one of our partners in maintaining the Oregon FDLP Regional collection.

This award comes largely as recognition of the special project to retrospectively catalog federal documents that took place from 2020-2022. That project resulted in over 20,000 previously-uncataloged documents in the collections being made findable in the two libraries. Thanks to that work, we also have a much better sense for how many documents are yet to be cataloged.

Several Oregonians are responsible for the incredible work that led to this award:

  *   Arlene Weible, Heather Pitts, Max Waddell, and the rest of the State Library's Government Services Technical Services team;
  *   Our FDLP partners at UO, OSU, and PSU;
  *   Jean Knutson at PSU and the rest of her team who contributed to the cataloging project;
  *   Susan Westin, now the State Library's COO, who found the extra LSTA money to fund the project, wrote the position description, and worked with PSU for Robert to work there;
  *   Last but certainly not least, Robert Kohl, who served in a limited duration position cataloging over 20,000 federal documents at both PSU and the State Library.

So please join me in congratulating all who are so deserving of this honor! You can see the official notification from the U.S. Government Printing Office attached.

Thanks,

Wendy

Wendy Cornelisen (she, her, hers)
State Librarian
State Library of Oregon
wendy.cornelisen at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:wendy.cornelisen at slo.oregon.gov>
Office: 503-378-4367| Mobile 971-375-3992
www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>
[Title: State Library of Oregon]