[Libs-Or] State Library Board Service Applications due 2/12

CORNELISEN Wendy * SLO Wendy.CORNELISEN at slo.oregon.gov
Tue Feb 6 07:00:07 PST 2024

As you know, the State Library provides leadership and resources to continue growing vibrant library services for Oregonians with print disabilities, the Legislature and state government, and all Oregonians through local libraries. The State Library Board<https://www.oregon.gov/library/operations/Pages/Library-Board.aspx> has legal and fiduciary responsibilities, sets policy, determines the library mission and vision, and is directly accountable to the public via the Governor and Legislature of the state of Oregon. Our recently updated bylaws are here<https://www.oregon.gov/library/operations/Documents/Board%20Bylaws%20Revision%202024.pdf>.

Dr. Lori Wamsley of Mt Hood Community College is ending her second term with the State Library Board on June 30, 2024. These last eight years have seen significant change at the State Library, including a shift in duties for the Board and more than one State Librarian. I am incredibly grateful to Lori for her service, and her time as Chair, running my on-boarding all while serving students at Mt Hood.

This means State Library Board has an upcoming opening for a member representing a community college library or a public university in Oregon. This four-year term will begin July 1, 2024. The Board meets 5 times per year and includes options for remote or in-person attendance (with travel reimbursements). Board members are selected by the Governor, confirmed by the Senate, and require an Attestation of Service<https://www.oregon.gov/gov/Documents/final_attestation_of_service_form_feb.%202023.pdf>.

Electronic applications are accepted via the State's system, Workday, and are due next week: February 12. Learn more here<https://www.oregon.gov/gov/Pages/board-list.aspx>.
It is a basic application that tells the Governor's Office about you, your background, and why you want to participate on a Governor-appointed Board or Commission. You will need to include your resume, a short personal biography, and answers to supplemental questions. Only complete applications will be considered. Applications are reviewed by the Board Administrator (me) before moving forward to the State Library's Advisor and then the Executive Appointments Team for review and consideration to the Governor.
Why the short timeline? The Governor's Office sent out an alert Monday that the Senate confirmation process will likely be twice this year: once in April and once in the Fall. I would rather have representation for this important group and not leave a seat on this 9 member board vacant for an unknown number of months.
Please let me know what questions you have.

Thanks,

Wendy

Wendy Cornelisen (she, her, hers)
State Librarian
State Library of Oregon
wendy.cornelisen at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:wendy.cornelisen at slo.oregon.gov>
Office: 503-378-4367| Mobile 971-375-3992
www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>
[Title: State Library of Oregon]