[Libs-Or] Tech-Talk: PPT – Keep Your Audience Captivated Using CAMEO

HANNING Darci C * SLO darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov
Thu Feb 8 09:41:01 PST 2024

Welcome to the latest issue of Tech-Talk!

Having trouble reading this email?
You can view the tech tip<https://www.tech-talk.com/keep-your-audience-captivated-using-cameo.html> and the communication tip<https://www.tech-talk.com/12-power-words-2-on-a-scale-of-1-to-10.html> online instead at:
https://www.tech-talk.com/login/oregon

When prompted for a username and password, use ORLIBTECH for both.

Tech-Talk is a paid subscription service for staff of Oregon libraries and is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), administered by the State Library of Oregon.

Use this feature to insert YOU into the presentation

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/34916cb2-412f-43fa-8294-1f7ecb0e9a3d.png]

[video]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001PNgVFIuf0Aua4H-F6j1-ZDPqUFvF95C7_9yko9vLxLOqgIIUDVv_dyfHlNE8ygIH1A9FcBD34femoEqS57E7v2BXlF6RLbI7PcA3QuaJzbquFjFv9Nm6ZKVpXfU8uW8AATfNQMoSuykRT4g5kGla_gC4rH4MEvK1MzhIQXnpuLUdoNR4QU92dJhc_BLf5R_szntTTCtok2Tf3nhJfBlIYA==&c=LnghZQq0TZebn4dtPHgZ4LQmpnNrGazCZknTssQPmpizpFeUCYzf0w==&ch=JL0CuAHtM7L8Lw_n-I4xV7MJW7bPgKbDyinD0x-KiR83JOXwaNvqFA==>

Photo by Ray Hennessy<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001PNgVFIuf0Aua4H-F6j1-ZDPqUFvF95C7_9yko9vLxLOqgIIUDVv_d5htGX1bM3yZbnTnDqp7wBy4CraU6kmAtFgkpM-GgCuNSGunPGeebKpNMaaP7NEUuMzjeFTLrXGlbVFEXNSdOFe6vRzr8jQF7qxhx1YtM2irWphUIjIsTtBT2A_gGjDXp5QT-0yWhvrHQdx7bzC0p5yfo95W4fF1Y8mnpylUdd6GbbKk-vG5rQnm_CQTD91cuL6JIPwuEYM5exlGAQouweI=&c=LnghZQq0TZebn4dtPHgZ4LQmpnNrGazCZknTssQPmpizpFeUCYzf0w==&ch=JL0CuAHtM7L8Lw_n-I4xV7MJW7bPgKbDyinD0x-KiR83JOXwaNvqFA==> on Unsplash<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001PNgVFIuf0Aua4H-F6j1-ZDPqUFvF95C7_9yko9vLxLOqgIIUDVv_dyfHlNE8ygIHFjqAyVIuBw7LGtvJaNHbAmUX_K3Ss8n1jcDkXGg0R2qwRlUSq1Gugyl2o0KvUeMC7MUqvG3SMVqyNDICBwZv9VhhEwZz6hXDPxuRxx-TQEe7HqaU1lUroMatXMCwJW9vT1jHjHHeAv9oTcGVhDq1zn6g5RqUetVv_xSxdnWptoTYusKNjbjM5AfuXSyG6vzxlAIqCQyVUaGCCr90xSukmv7yY9BZY9QjoxrXMS5qMZS37QPcexi-7klz-BMO32_V_t-rYKhG-ixzxZaxnCmZHF0pJooKEmdO&c=LnghZQq0TZebn4dtPHgZ4LQmpnNrGazCZknTssQPmpizpFeUCYzf0w==&ch=JL0CuAHtM7L8Lw_n-I4xV7MJW7bPgKbDyinD0x-KiR83JOXwaNvqFA==>

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/e25f6bcf-26a8-4e59-91f2-cc248962042d.png]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001PNgVFIuf0Aua4H-F6j1-ZDPqUFvF95C7_9yko9vLxLOqgIIUDVv_dxHfUfV_m012XLz_Ne8Ohp-GSIeFIjI0xThCch3sD4mPukwYOuCTAvYU7berb4icArJw1TtnxJ5PCsi2By38n1VM-tvMI3Wt70p7DmNUMx3a&c=LnghZQq0TZebn4dtPHgZ4LQmpnNrGazCZknTssQPmpizpFeUCYzf0w==&ch=JL0CuAHtM7L8Lw_n-I4xV7MJW7bPgKbDyinD0x-KiR83JOXwaNvqFA==>

Webinars for You

·     February 14: [PPT/G-SLIDES] Make Your Presentations Sizzle!  [3 pm ET for 1 hour]

·     February 28: [DESKTOP] Desktop Organization: Simplify Your Computer Life [3 pm ET for 1 hour]

·     March 13: [CANVA] Create Concept/Mind Maps to Visually Plan Complex Topics [3 pm ET for 1 hour]

·     March 27: [EXCEL] Use Simple Excel & Access Databases to Organize Storytelling Resources [3 pm ET for 1 hour]

View Webinars and Register Here<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001PNgVFIuf0Aua4H-F6j1-ZDPqUFvF95C7_9yko9vLxLOqgIIUDVv_dwLZ1H8mbdqHyTBI6_B-fQ-W-Dfvlxx-MyTOUxCzlrHTSdhrg9kUXio3CLSQbnjSR2zNl85ZC1fIZwQcoAFTnxmAFSDphNc9FhE-_qb0exg-&c=LnghZQq0TZebn4dtPHgZ4LQmpnNrGazCZknTssQPmpizpFeUCYzf0w==&ch=JL0CuAHtM7L8Lw_n-I4xV7MJW7bPgKbDyinD0x-KiR83JOXwaNvqFA==>

[PPT webinar]

If After Reading the Tip Below, You Want to Learn More About Cameo and other PowerPoint tips...

Join us on Wednesday, February 4th at 3 pm ET for "Make Your Presentations Sizzle!"

Register Here<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001PNgVFIuf0Aua4H-F6j1-ZDPqUFvF95C7_9yko9vLxLOqgIIUDVv_dyfHlNE8ygIHd18E8jIlrDb-PwmtW_Twj3IksYhfhXn3U-gVz7vfh3wh6ZAD-lPzyXAcblLRHSrh6ydIyIcQd4JMve0cwa5kOOrHXCitKUyRzSUOYks1uSDbhxU5vCCORS2gb5FHmNcY8zT7esTGFMqArx_YcVEl5YI5EdSC_RK0K1m4AI3P20Y=&c=LnghZQq0TZebn4dtPHgZ4LQmpnNrGazCZknTssQPmpizpFeUCYzf0w==&ch=JL0CuAHtM7L8Lw_n-I4xV7MJW7bPgKbDyinD0x-KiR83JOXwaNvqFA==>

PPT – Keep Your Audience Captivated Using "Cameo"

Intermediate

Let's face it, PowerPoint is still one of the most helpful tools to use when presenting information. You can incorporate text, images, and even video to support your verbal presentation. However, creating slides that will keep your audience engaged - especially in an online/virtual meeting… can be a challenge. We're always looking for new ways to do this.

[Cameo]

Well, one of the new features in PowerPoint can help. It's called Cameo. With this feature, you can insert your live camera feed right into a slide. Your audience will see you via your webcam inside the slideshow as you present.

Cameo integrates with MS Teams, Zoom, and other web conferencing software ... whenever you share your full screen with your PowerPoint slide show. Of course, you can also use Cameo when presenting live in the same room as your audience or when making a recording of your presentation that you want to share.

Now you might say that you can already show your live image when presenting on platforms like Zoom. That's right. But Cameo doesn't add a static, inflexible box that sits off to the side. You can move the Cameo bubble to different places on individual slides so that your information is not obscured. This makes it fun and engaging. You can use different shapes, effects, and formatting. You can display your video feed on some slides, but not others.

For instance, you may want your Cameo bubble large, filling up the screen in your presentation introduction. Then maybe place it off to the side for some slides. Other times you may have content that fills a slide (like an image), so you don't need the Cameo bubble showing.

You get to choose where it displays, and which slide(s) it will be shown on!

[cameo examples]

When you add the Cameo feature, think of it as similar to when you add an image or a shape to a slide. You can use the same effects and transitions. For instance, you can change the position, resize it, and add a border to it. Or to add more interest, make the Cameo bubble a shape like a square, hexagon, or arrow.

[format Cameo]

NOTE: Cameo is found in the Microsoft 365 desktop app and is not currently available in the web version or in Google Slides.

Add Cameo to Your Presentation

First, you need to set up your slides and insert the Cameo feature into your presentation. This is done with a Cameo "placeholder" – a circle that designates the location on the slide until your live camera feed is active.

·     Go to the first slide you'd like to add Cameo. Click on Insert from the menu and then select the Cameo icon.

·     Choose to Insert to This Slide or All Slides. NOTE: If you choose This Slide, you can add them to individual slides as needed later. If you select All Slides, it's easy to delete the placeholder on a particular slide.

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/a618b327-d145-4690-adce-954976a2b3d9.png]

[apply formatting]
·     Once the Cameo bubble is added, you should be in the Camera Format section/tab. (If not, click on it.)

·     Here you can: change the shape of the Cameo, add a border, apply effects (like a glow or shadow)… Most formatting you can do to a shape or image can be applied to the Cameo bubble. Keep it simple and professional... or maybe add some fun!

·     TIP: If you add multiple formatting options to one Cameo bubble, you can copy and paste that bubble into other slides where you want to use the same formatting options.

·     Or, once you have added formatting options to one Cameo bubble that you want to use in all Cameos that you've already inserted, click on that slide's Cameo, go to Camera Format in the menu and click the Apply to All Slides icon in the menu. Voila! All the instances of Cameos will have the same formatting applied.

[Apply to all slides]

·     Make sure to go to each slide and move the Cameo bubble if needed so that it doesn't cover text or images.

·     If a slide is full of content that you want your audience to be focused on (and you don't want a bubble) click the Cameo to highlight it and hit the Delete button on your keyboard.

View Your Cameo in Preview Mode

Now that you've added the Cameo bubble to some (or all) slides, you'll want to preview how it looks and connect your camera before you use it live.

·     On a slide, click on a Cameo placeholder to select it and then go to the Camera Format tab in the menu.
·     Next, as in the image below, click the Preview icon on the left side and use the drop-down to select a camera (some people have more than one option).
·     Then click the tiny camera icon in the bottom left of your Cameo bubble to connect and show the live feed of your face.

[preview]

Give Your Presentation

Before going live, whether you're in front of an audience (face to face), or using a video conferencing system, run through your slideshow to make sure Cameo is working properly.

1.  Check the camera placement.
2.  Ensure the lighting is sufficient.
3.  IMPORTANT: When you are using a platform like Zoom (which is also using your camera), make sure you turn OFF your camera in the conferencing software. This way Cameo will connect with your camera to work within PowerPoint. It makes sense that you only want to be using one camera at a time, right?

Recording the Presentation with Cameo

If you want to record a presentation and use it in various ways... such as a welcome video for new hires, a training tutorial, or as an upload to YouTube or other social media ... you can include Cameo in it.

See this article to learn how to record your presentation<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001PNgVFIuf0Aua4H-F6j1-ZDPqUFvF95C7_9yko9vLxLOqgIIUDVv_dxr4JUxsQkd9lduie4mmFz8U4C77QCTEtVg6Xd1V41CnS_xrIaolzwOPzxExRZKbHkblnskpYSiX6CTqggE2-LNBEVW_ZMlW9vaPnk4ROCWq3kSJHPE2Nz2zF7K1BMpiDUpyxmduZf0LQUiU3Z2tcSwxhPyLA9wmqcNSZBBMsX1E&c=LnghZQq0TZebn4dtPHgZ4LQmpnNrGazCZknTssQPmpizpFeUCYzf0w==&ch=JL0CuAHtM7L8Lw_n-I4xV7MJW7bPgKbDyinD0x-KiR83JOXwaNvqFA==>.

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/f8f1ecc8-4884-4c21-8ed0-cf647e6db944.png]

Communication: 12 Power Words

#3: "On a scale of 1 to 10...?"

"How do you like it?" you ask.

"Do you want to go out for lunch?"

"Will you accept this new task?"

These are the types of questions we ask our friends and colleagues all the time. We want their opinion. We want their endorsement. We want their acceptance.

These questions are all fine and good. You'll get a valid response. BUT, what you won't know is how strongly they feel about your idea.

·     How much do you like it?
·     Do you really want to go to lunch or are you just going along with my idea?
·     Are you accepting this task because I asked you and you think you have to?

There's a more revealing way: Ask for a number!

·     "On a scale of 1 to 10; 10 high, how much do you like it?"

·     "On a scale of 1 to 10; 10 high, how strongly do you want to go to lunch?"

·     "On a scale of 1 to 10; 10 high, how excited are you about this new task?"

A rule of thumb: If the answer is a six or below, it's time for a conversation to explore what made them say that number. TIP: "What's one reason you chose that number?"

This technique of measuring how much a person agrees with you generates trust, builds better collaboration, and reduces the chance of conflict.

* * *

If you like this communication technique, search Tech-Talk for additional ideas on this exact phrase. Or if you can't wait 12 weeks to get them all? Go to Tech-Talk.com<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001PNgVFIuf0Aua4H-F6j1-ZDPqUFvF95C7_9yko9vLxLOqgIIUDVv_dziZW9U5jcURlQFYhdSGGALvGSQPa6-6mNEjv24GDe-73kbiBM1LlmHqyQdlyCUiMVFIfbo9BND10ZaCC7aPiSsvW2Tgwg2KoA==&c=LnghZQq0TZebn4dtPHgZ4LQmpnNrGazCZknTssQPmpizpFeUCYzf0w==&ch=JL0CuAHtM7L8Lw_n-I4xV7MJW7bPgKbDyinD0x-KiR83JOXwaNvqFA==>. Search for "12 Powerful Phrases"

[https://files.constantcontact.com/ee1208b4001/b13a7a6a-7445-4d8e-b741-4b475385ef5b.png]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001PNgVFIuf0Aua4H-F6j1-ZDPqUFvF95C7_9yko9vLxLOqgIIUDVv_d4dcWx1CUGfJwEfLbY8DHDGsyEMg_lk342Uc3ozcrBqNpH2rK-rynvVgAr46Bzdiva7dzD7fJXedcMSjmj7-u7rETNoPUI-OhA-vTlJVjXgP&c=LnghZQq0TZebn4dtPHgZ4LQmpnNrGazCZknTssQPmpizpFeUCYzf0w==&ch=JL0CuAHtM7L8Lw_n-I4xV7MJW7bPgKbDyinD0x-KiR83JOXwaNvqFA==>

[Ask a question]<https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001PNgVFIuf0Aua4H-F6j1-ZDPqUFvF95C7_9yko9vLxLOqgIIUDVv_d256us1N93-vrbxLGWFu5wJI-qBmyB4sDy70ijzfVElh0epTHwXCdGTO1jFfsYhardUxCuWQJkFgbQHIjdA-CbjY7VRfjsPwnSEZtEFnP_aJKwlkxUnyZpc=&c=LnghZQq0TZebn4dtPHgZ4LQmpnNrGazCZknTssQPmpizpFeUCYzf0w==&ch=JL0CuAHtM7L8Lw_n-I4xV7MJW7bPgKbDyinD0x-KiR83JOXwaNvqFA==>

Copyright 1996-2024 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Distribution is limited by license. For information on how to include additional recipients, contact support at tech-talk.com<mailto:support at tech-talk.com> 585-615-7795.

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS (she/her/hers)
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
Continuing Education Resources: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted

State Library of Oregon | Library Support and Development Services
971-375-3491 | darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov> | www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow @StateLibraryOR: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[cid:image001.png at 01DA5A71.BCA168F0]