[Libs-Or] Urgent message about Senate Bill 1583

jeremy cplib.net jeremy at cplib.net
Thu Feb 8 19:41:55 PST 2024

Dear Oregon library community members,

Please act now to support SB 1583<https://olis.oregonlegislature.gov/liz/2024R1/Measures/Overview/SB1583> before the Oregon State Legislature!

Earlier today Emily O'Neal from the Oregon Library Association's Intellectual Freedom Committee sent out an email that she described as one of the most important posts she is likely to make as Chair of the IFC. I am writing with a similar message. This also may be the most important message I will write to you all during my work as a librarian and as the co-chair of the OLA legislative committee.

As we speak, organized residents across the state are inundating the Oregon legislature with written objections to Senate Bill 1583, a much-needed piece of legislation sponsored by Senator Frederick to prohibit discrimination in public schools when selecting textbooks, instructional materials, program materials or library books. Here is a link to SB 1583’s webpage<https://olis.oregonlegislature.gov/liz/2024R1/Measures/Overview/SB1583> and you can click on the “Testimony” link to read the many opposition and support letters that have been submitted.

This legislation is incredibly important to me. I live in rural Oregon and I have friends and family members whose very jobs as educators have been threatened by both parents and administrators as a result of materials they have selected for classrooms and libraries that tell the stories of the minority groups outlined in SB 1583. In many of these cases, standing up to this intimidation means packing up and moving to in hopes of finding a new job despite a negative mark on your teaching license.

We need your voice in numbers to support this legislation and make it clear that the dissenting voices do not speak for all. Please consider taking the following actions now:

- Register to testify virtually or in-person on February 13th from 3-4:30pm. Please fill out this form<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Vy_lWKBU1KLEk8HH4Tir3SIFNhP0oobLezJmczmxiwo/edit#gid=1292566061> so we can follow up with you with instructions on how to register with the legislature and tips on testifying.

- Can’t make it to the hearing? Write a letter for the record instead. Legislators want to hear from you. You can use some of the talking points below and personalize your message in a PDF document, that you can then upload to the legislature’s website here<https://olis.oregonlegislature.gov/liz/2024R1/Testimony/SED/SB/1583/0000-00-00-00-00?area=Measures>. Please note the more personal, the better. Letters must be submitted by February 15th at 3pm to go on the legislative record.

- Contact your legislator. Use the Find Your Legislator tool<https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/FindYourLegislator/leg-search.html> to identify your State Senator. Email or call their office to express your support for SB 1583. Feel free to use some or all of the talking points below.

Thank you for taking the time to read and act, and for your work supporting libraries,

Jeremy Skinner
Co-Chair OLA Legislative Committee

Talking Points:

  *   I am supporting SB 1583 that will prevent discrimination when selecting textbooks, instructional materials, program materials or library books in public schools and hope that you will vote to support the bill when it comes up for a vote (in committee/on the floor).

  *   SB1583 brings needed clarity to help schools and school boards comply with the prohibition on discrimination required by ORS 659.850.

  *   The US is experiencing an explosion of attempts to censor library and curriculum materials in our public schools, and Oregon is no exception.

  *   Many of these attempts are blatant in their opposition to LGBTQ+ materials. These censorship attempts intend to limit the materials available to Oregon students based solely on the constitutionally protected viewpoints of those materials. I believe SB 1583 will help prevent these book bans and removal attempts.

  *   As librarians, we know it is important for students to see themselves reflected in their community. We believe it is critical to carefully select books, magazines, educational videos and experiences that reflect our student populations in a culturally and linguistically appropriate manner.

  *   We want to make sure that important educational texts and materials are available to those students who need it.

  *   Please pass SB 1583 with the proposed amendment from the Oregon Library Association.