[Libs-Or] NNLM Region 5 Library Carpentry Virtual Workshop March 19 – 21, 2024

Emily Hamstra ehamstra at uw.edu
Wed Jan 17 10:00:00 PST 2024

Region 5 is excited to announce that we will be hosting a free online Library Carpentry workshop<https://www.nnlm.gov/training/class/region-5-library-carpentry-workshop-march-2024-session> on March 19 – 21, 2024 from 12:30p.m. – 1:00p.m. Pacific Time. We have 25 spots available and are prioritizing equitable geographic representation of members in Region 5 (Alaska, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, and U.S. Territories and Freely Associated States).

Library Carpentry focuses on building software and data skills within library and information-related communities. Their hands-on, approachable workshops empower people in a variety of roles to use software and data in their own work and support effective, efficient, reproducible practices. Learn more about Library Carpentry on their website.<https://librarycarpentry.org/about/>

In this 3-day interactive, hands-on virtual workshop you will learn core data skills to help you build confidence in working with data in library- and information-related settings. During the March 2024 workshop, we will be covering the following lessons:

  *   Introduction to Working with Data (Regular Expressions)<https://librarycarpentry.org/lc-data-intro/>
  *   OpenRefine<https://librarycarpentry.org/lc-open-refine/>
  *   Tidy Data for Librarians<https://librarycarpentry.org/lc-spreadsheets/>
  *   The UNIX Shell<https://librarycarpentry.org/lc-shell/> and/or Introduction to Git<https://librarycarpentry.org/lc-git/>

To be considered for enrollment, please apply by Tuesday, February 20th at 6:00 p.m. PT. We will notify you of your enrollment or wait list status by Wednesday, February 21st at 6:00 p.m. PT. If we offer you enrollment, please confirm your commitment to attend by Friday, March 1st at 6:00 p.m. PT.

For more information and to apply, please visit the workshop page<https://www.nnlm.gov/training/class/region-5-library-carpentry-workshop-march-2024-session>.

Any questions about the Library Carpentry workshops can be directed to nnlm at uw.edu<mailto:nnlm at uw.edu>.

Emily Hamstra, MSI (she/her) | Assistant Director

Network of the National Library of Medicine, Region 5

University of Washington Box 357155

Seattle, WA  98195

https://nnlm.gov<https://nnlm.gov/> | ehamstra at uw.edu<mailto:ehamstra at uw.edu>