[Libs-Or] Big Tech executives to appear at Senate hearing to defend social media’s impact on teens

Max Macias max.macias at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 12:00:00 PST 2024

Greetings,

I hope you are all safe and well.

I was reading about this hearing
<https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/31/tech/big-tech-executives-senate-hearing-teens/index.html>
and it made me think about libraries.

If you know me, then you probably know I used to be a social media
proponent.  After realizing the impact it was having on my mental health--I
quit and almost immediately felt healthier.

Then I watched my children begin using social media.  What I see greatly
disturbs me, and I feel pretty helpless about what to do about it.

I began thinking that libraries are perfectly positioned to have an impact
on social media literacy and usage.  We could make an impact on
helping kids maintain mental health, and avoid the dangers of social media
usage.

What are libraries doing to help prevent the experimentation on children by
social media companies?

Does your library use social media for outreach?

If so, how does your library justify communicating with patrons via an
intermediary who has no interest in privacy and who has profit as their end
goal?

Does your library hold social media, or other media literacy events?

This is something libraries should be addressing--are there libraries in
Oregon who are addressing this issue?

Are libraries working with parents to help educate our young people about
the dangers of social media?

Respectfully,

Max Macias

--
-
Max Macias [image: A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in

Social media is mind control.

The ideas expressed in these emails in no way represent any organization's
viewpoints, or opinions.  The opinions, ideas and reflections are my own
personal intellectual property.

Publishing

Lowrider Librarian <http://lowriderlibrarian.blogspot.com/>
Librarians With Spines  <https://www.librarianswithspines.com/>