[Libs-Or] Voices for Libraries 2024

CORNELISEN Wendy * SLO Wendy.CORNELISEN at slo.oregon.gov
Tue Mar 12 11:35:11 PDT 2024

I'm back from the Voices for Libraries trip to Washington, D.C.! As you can see, Oregon's Congressional offices might be the second-best place to find PDX carpet.

This event is a chance for library advocates from across the country to meet with their Congressional delegation and share the value and impact of funding libraries. This year's event was produced by the Chief Officers of State Library Agencies<https://www.cosla.org/overview> (COSLA), in partnership with the ALA Washington Office.

I had the good fortune to bring a wonderful group of librarians from across Oregon with me:  Miranda Doyle is the district librarian for the Klamath Falls School District, Stephanie Chase is the executive director of the Libraries of Eastern Oregon, and Jeremy Skinner is both the director of the Curry County Public Library and the co-chair of OLA's Legislative Committee. Thanks to each of them, and their colleagues, for making it possible for them to be present for two entire days.

COSLA partnered with ALA to run our training on Wednesday, which featured conversations around federal funding for libraries, support for literacy, broadband as a human right and a keynote from Library Joy himself Mychal Threets<https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mychal-threets-america-favorite-librarian-tiktok_n_65ab2fe8e4b00bbb446f3f7d>.  I've attached the COSLA 2024 public policy info sheet that made up the core of our asks.

On Thursday, we were able to meet with Senator Merkley in person and had wide-ranging conversations with the staffs for both of our Senators, Representative Bonamici and Representative Salinas. We did drop off information packets with each Representative that shared how federal funding, thru the Library Services Technology Act, is utilized across Oregon. The Oregon one-pager handout we shared is attached-there is a customized version for each federal district because my colleagues at the State Library are amazing.

Thank you for sharing the outcomes of your LSTA grant funded projects-it makes it easy to share stories with our Congressional Delegation! We also talked about the value of school libraries, intellectual freedom, and the study that the Government Accounting Office is doing on the state of library buildings across the country. I hope that study will be the catalyst for a larger ask in the future, but for now our focus continues to be on growing LSTA funds and keeping libraries top-of-mind for our elected officials. Next year we'll be concentrating on the re-authorization of the Museum and Library Services Act (MSLA) which expires in October 2025.

Please let me know if there are any questions, and keep those stories of impact coming!

Thanks,

Wendy

Wendy Cornelisen (she, her, hers)
State Librarian
State Library of Oregon
wendy.cornelisen at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:wendy.cornelisen at slo.oregon.gov>
Office: 503-378-4367| Mobile 971-375-3992
www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>
[Title: State Library of Oregon]