[Libs-Or] Upcoming Learning Opportunities (FREE)

HANNING Darci C * SLO Darci.HANNING at slo.oregon.gov
Thu Mar 14 15:22:27 PDT 2024

Hello  library community!

Here's a quick reminder about learning resources available through the State Library and other organizations:

Be sure to visit the State Library of Oregon's CE website<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted> for more learning resources and the CE Calendar<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted/free#s-lib-ctab-24120710-1> which also includes links to the PDF<https://maine-msl.libguides.com/ld.php?content_id=74557260> and online<https://www.webjunction.org/find-training/free-events.html> versions of this month's free events listed by category (compiled by the Maine State Library hosted by WebJunction).

Highlighted webinars / online events:

12 Months to Better Library Data<https://www.ripleffect.org/12-months-to-better-library-data/>: a free webinar series from RIPL.
The Research Institute for Public Libraries (RIPL) is a national initiative to provide training about data and evaluation to public library workers. While RIPL typically provides in-person trainings, it has now launched a free, monthly, yearlong webinar series, 12 Months to Better Library Data. During the first quarter of the webinar series, the focus will be on the Identify and Plan steps:

  *   Begin With a Strong Foundation: Developing a Data Plan (March 7, 2024, recording now available<https://www.ripleffect.org/blog/webinar/begin-with-a-strong-foundation-developing-a-data-plan/>)
  *   Outcomes and Beyond: A 3-Step Approach to Evaluating Program Success<https://www.ripleffect.org/blog/webinar/outcomes-and-beyond-a-3-step-approach-to-evaluating-program-success/> (April 16, 2024, 9:00-10:30 Pacific)
  *   Introduction to Data Equity<https://www.ripleffect.org/blog/webinar/introduction-to-data-equity/> (May 13, 2024, 12:00-1:30 Pacific)

This series is intended for public library workers interested in gaining knowledge and skills for data-informed decision-making, program improvement, planning, and advocacy; as well as in learning how to use data to serve their community even better tomorrow than they are today. Anyone else interested in public library data and evaluation is also welcome to join<https://www.ripleffect.org/12-months-to-better-library-data/>!

Monday/Tuesday, March 18-19, 7a-2p PT: Abolitionist Visions and Intersections Summit<https://www.ala.org/rt/srrt/events/abolitionist-visions-intersections>
Centering Human Relationships and Building Institutional Connections for Social Justice

Abolitionism is a positive, proactive, cross-sector project that redirects resources to ameliorate harms; promotes new forms of and investments in community health and well-being; centers the voices, experiences, and concerns of impacted individuals and communities; and addresses systemic, structural, and institutional injustice and deprivation. In both concept and practice, it opens up dimensions of activism, solidarity, and opportunity that expand upon the possible to illuminate the potential. Abolitionist-aligned campaigns and collectives around the world showcase the diversity and breadth of this critical work, demonstrating that there is no one vision of what this looks like-it is and will be the reality created by those committed to upending current systems of oppression and bringing something new into the world.

March 8 Registration Link: https://ala-events.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJErd-ygqjguG9EkZKljKU1r3rmidgZmHDsD
March 9 Registration Link: https://ala-events.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUtf-ispj0uHdRpzXBS5336RjwiPIsQKt8w

Wednesday, March 27, 11a PT: A Higher Purpose: Censorship and Intellectual Freedom Today<https://gla.georgialibraries.org/carterette-series-webinars/>
This webinar will discuss some of the motivations behind censorship and book banning in America. We will discuss the impact of moral belief and organized thinking on efforts to remove materials from schools and public libraries, as well as historic examples of tactics being used today. We'll also examine the difficulties in having conversations from two very drastic viewpoints and obstacles to reach a common understanding. Participants will gain a better understanding of the historic underpinnings of today's attacks on materials related to the LGBTQ+ and BIPOC experiences.

Registration page: https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_2bCZYwClRHijV1vyijYHZQ

>From Network of National Library of Medicine (NNLM):

Thursday, March 21, 12:00p PT: Introduction to Generative AI Tools<https://www.nnlm.gov/training/class/r4-connections-introduction-generative-ai-tools>
This one-hour session will explore the evolving landscape of artificial intelligence and its applications. In the rapidly evolving landscape of digital technology, generative artificial intelligence (AI) has emerged as a transformative force, offering groundbreaking tools such as ChatGPT, Bard, Midjourney, and Stable Diffusion. And although the core principles underlying these AI technologies are not entirely new, the enhanced accessibility of these tools is enabling a broader audience to leverage AI's potential, including in the biomedical field. This presentation therefore aims to provide a foundational understanding of how generative AI can be utilized, while simultaneously addressing potential risks and ethical concerns, so that individuals and organizations can make more informed decisions around their implementation.

Weekly Webinars, Mondays, April 1 - April 22, 11a-12:30p PT: Navigating New Norms: Harnessing Generative AI for Library Services and Solutions<https://www.nnlm.gov/training/class/navigating-new-norms-harnessing-generative-ai-library-services-and-solutions>
This is a 4-part class. Due to limited space, please only register if you can commit to all 4 sessions.

In a rapidly evolving technological landscape, libraries are leveraging generative artificial intelligence to enhance their services and adapt to changing user behaviors and needs.  "Navigating New Norms: Harnessing Generative AI for Library Services and Solutions" is a short course designed to equip librarians with the knowledge and skills needed to automate efforts in advancing analytics, creating content, and answering library users' questions. Register to embark on a journey exploring the nuts and bolts of generative AI, from its foundational concepts to practical applications in library settings.  [read more<https://www.nnlm.gov/training/class/navigating-new-norms-harnessing-generative-ai-library-services-and-solutions>]

Self-paced Course: Navigating the Telehealth Neighborhood: A Guide to Telehealth Access for Digital Navigators<https://nrtrc.catalog.instructure.com/courses/navigating-the-telehealth-neighborhood-a-guide-to-telehealth-access-for-digital-navigators>
Northwest Regional Telehealth Resource Center self-paced course: This course was created with digital navigators in mind, but is a great introduction to telehealth for anyone assisting a learner, patient or loved one in accessing telehealth. From the basics of telehealth, to helping others find resources for their telehealth appointment, we hope this training will "navigate" you in the right direction!

Highlighted Content from WebJunction:
Hopkinton Public Library unites community in library planning<https://www.webjunction.org/news/webjunction/hopkinton-library-unites-community.html>: There are thousands of public libraries in the United States, all different sizes with unique communities. Though larger libraries may often benefit from higher staff counts and bigger budgets, size isn't everything. This is definitely the case for the 2,000-square-foot Hopkinton Public Library in Iowa. A team of just two enthusiastically support 338 library card holders, across Hopkinton and the county. They offer an impressive, weekly slate of engaging programs. And people love them. In fact, some event attendance numbers have eclipsed the total cardholder count, even when there's a cost. So, what's the secret sauce? Including the community from beginning to end. From an annual haunted house to community bake-offs, the library incorporates locals for ideation and program planning, so they feel invested and want to participate.

Upcoming live PCI Webinars:
Each Wednesday from 11:00a - 12:00p PT, explore new, relevant topics during a live webinar from People Connect Institute. These webinars will also be recorded and available the following week in the Oregon Library Staff Academy / PCI Webinars<https://my.nicheacademy.com/oregonstaff?category=12423> category.

Request your registration links for these upcoming webinars.<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Reg4PCI> Note: all PCI Webinars (live and recorded) are limited to Oregon library staff, volunteers, board members, Friend and Foundation members. Full descriptions are available on the PCI Webinar CE page<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted#s-lib-ctab-24120710-3>.

  *   March 20: Circulation Desk Spanish
  *   March 27: Happiness at Work
  *   April 3: The Best Folk and Fairy Tale Picture Books for Preschoolers
  *   April 10: Perspectives of Value: Using Language to Change Perceived Value of the Library
  *   April 17: Storytime for All: An Introduction to Inclusive Best Practices
  *   April 24: Teen Behavior in the Library: Managing This [Sometimes-Challenging] Developmental Stage

>From WebJunction, free live webinars - register now!

Tuesday, April 30, 12: PT, Leadership strategies for building connection and diffusing difficult situations<https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/leadership-strategies.html>
This webinar introduces skills and practical strategies for developing empathetic, curiosity-led leadership, to help improve communication, connection and cooperation at your library.

As library staff, our collective morale and goodwill are often eroded by a tidal wave of factors including book challenges, budget constraints, staffing shortages, toxic online discourse, and an increasingly divided culture. In times like these, searching for common ground might sound naïve or idealistic, but intentionally cultivating these mindsets can have a profound effect on your organizational culture, communication, problem-solving, and mental health. This webinar introduces skills grounded in the "Good Inside" approach, and will cover practical strategies to develop empathetic, curiosity-led leadership that assumes good intent in moments of conflict and stress, along with actionable communication skills for connection and cooperation.

Upcoming Free Online Conference:

March 24:  <https://www.library20.com/ai-and-libraries> AI and Libraries: Applications, Implications, and Possibilities<https://www.library20.com/ai-and-libraries> (Library 2.0 / SJSU School of Information)
How has artificial intelligence impacted library services, resources, and work so far? How have libraries responded to these evolving technologies to better support their communities? It's been over a year since generative artificial intelligence tools like ChatGPT and Dall-E have been introduced in public spaces and consciousness, but AI has been around long before these tools yet there are still lingering concerns, challenges, and considerations. Join us for this free virtual conference to learn how libraries and library workers are engaging with artificial intelligence tools in their libraries from research support to information literacy to technical services. The conversations held in the conference will address the practical implications of these tools in the profession. Registration <https://www.eventbrite.com/e/library-2024-ai-and-libraries-registration-800281532607> is now open; this is a free, live event and it will also be recorded.

Looking for learning resources on a particular topic? I'm happy to help - please contact me!

Cheers,
Darci Hanning, MLIS (she/her/hers)
Public Library Consultant / CE Coordinator
Continuing Education Resources: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/conted
State Library of Oregon | Library Support and Development Services
971-375-3491 | darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:darci.hanning at slo.oregon.gov> | www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow @StateLibraryOR: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>

[cid:image001.png at 01DA75ED.8C4CE700]