[Libs-Or] OLA Conference: Early Bird Registration Ends FRIDAY!

HANNING Darci C * SLO Darci.HANNING at slo.oregon.gov
Tue Mar 19 09:34:51 PDT 2024

[cid:image001.png at 01DA79DF.786BCE90]

Early-bird registration is available through THIS Friday, March 22, 2024 - the time to register is now!
https://oregonlibconference.org/2024/home/registration/

We want you to join your colleagues in lovely Salem, Oregon for four days of workshops, presentations, and networking! The conference theme is All Together Now and we are looking to celebrate all the ways that libraries collaborate through partnerships, resource and information sharing, how libraries are welcoming spaces, and more!

A preview of the registration costs (for ALL the options!) is available in this PDF document:
https://oregonlibconference.org/2024/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2024/02/OLA-Conf-2024-Registration-Costs-Final-rev-2024_02_07.pdf

Check out the full conference schedule: https://oregonlibconference.org/2024/home/programs/. This fully interactive page will let you filter by day and/or by topic - and there are plenty of topics for all kinds of library workers!

Additional highlights of the conference include:

  *   Opportunities for "Dine-Around Town" for dinner
  *   Quiet / Low-sensory Space (throughout the conference)
  *   Social / Arts & Crafts Space (throughout the conference)
  *   Author Fair and Presenters & Performer Fair happening on Wednesday afternoon
  *   Game Night (Thursday)
  *   On your own Salem Art Walk

Keynote Address: Bryce Kozla, Thursday morning

[cid:image004.png at 01DA79E0.B0112600]Title: Fostering supportive workplaces in overwhelming times

Conferences are great places to get together and share ideas. But back at the library, everyday hassles, escalated patron interactions, and "the new normal" can  leave everyone frustrated and burned out. Isn't it tough not to roll your eyes at the word "empathy" anymore? How can we empower ourselves and our teams to save ourselves from certain ambivalence? Bryce doesn't have all the answers, but with a particular set of skills, we may just be able to find our way back to inspiration.

Saturday's Featured Author: Jonathon Hill

[cid:image005.png at 01DA79E0.B0112600]Title: All Together Now: The Power of Encouragement
Bring the fun and learning of the conference together with Portland-based cartoonist, illustrator, and educator Jonathan Hill. Jonathan has been working in and teaching about comics and illustration for many years. His most recent publications are the graphic novels Odessa, winner of the 2021 Believer Book Award, and Tales of a Seventh-Grade Lizard Boy, featured on the 2022 ALA Best Graphic Novels for Children Reading List and recently announced as a 2024-2025 middle grade selection for the Oregon Battle of the Books.

Jonathan will reflect on his first-hand experience as a Vietnamese American growing up in the 80s and how thousands of tiny encouraging nudges added up to the career and life he has today.

Stay up to date by visiting the conference website<https://oregonlibconference.org/2024/>. Questions? You can contact committee members<https://oregonlibconference.org/2024/home/conference-committee/> as needed!

On behalf of the Conference Planning Committee, Darci Hanning