[oblpct] Titles & licensure

Oregon Bd Licensed Profess Counselors & Therapists Information
Fri Nov 5 14:59:58 PDT 2010

Who may call themselves "professional counselor", "counselor", "marriage
and family therapist", or "therapist"?
Those titles are not protected so anyone may use them.  Only "Licensed
Professional Counselor" and "Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist" are
protected, meaning one must be licensed to use them.

If I am not licensed, will it be legal for me to practice counseling or
marriage and family therapy after January 1, 2011?

It depends -- there are several license exemptions.  If you meet any one
of the following conditions, you may practice without a license as a
professional counselor or marriage and family therapist.

If you are an intern registered with the Board or have applied for
internship
If you do not meet education requirements for licensure
If you work for a public/government agency (federal, state, local)
If you work for a mental health agency certified by a government agency
If you are a certified alcohol and drug counselor
If you are a recognized member of the clergy as long as you are is
acting in your ministerial capacity

Becky Eklund, Executive Director
Oregon Board of Licensed Professional
    Counselors and Therapists