[ODFWMarineReserves] Biologists seek input on best methods to inform and engage Oregonians on coastal fishing and conservation topics

Anna M Pakenham anna.m.pakenham at state.or.us
Mon May 9 09:42:52 PDT 2011

Biologists seek input on best methods to inform and engage Oregonians on
coastal fishing and conservation topics

Online survey available through May 30, 2011

NEWPORT - The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife launched an effort
this week to learn people's preferred methods to obtain or give
information about ocean fishing, shellfishing and conservation.

The agency is asking anglers, clammers, crabbers, commercial fishers and
those interested in marine education and conservation efforts to
participate in a short online survey to improve how information is
distributed and public feedback received.

The survey is available at
www.surveygizmo.com/s3/525787/ODFWMRPCommunications
<http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/525787/ODFWMRPCommunications>

Biologists are receiving more written feedback via email and there are
additional electronic tools available to distribute information
efficiently. At the same time, ODFW's Marine Resources Program has held
public meetings to receive input on new harvest rules where few people
attended.

"We know that people are very interested in the issues and we want their
feedback, but we've recognized that people may not be able to go to a
meeting," said Gway Kirchner, assistant program manager at the ODFW
Marine Resources Program. "We want to know if we need to adjust our
communications and outreach efforts."

Results from the survey and other evaluation methods will inform future
planning and public engagement efforts.

###