Subcontractor Utilization Tracking for A&E Contracts

ODOT Info - A&E Consultants odot_ae_consultant_info at listsmart.osl.state.or.us
Fri Oct 22 10:50:32 PDT 2010

To: All ODOT Regions, ODOT Major Projects Branch, ODOT Technical
Services, ODOT Procurement Office, ODOT Office of Civil Rights, ODOT
Technical Development Division, ODOT Maintenance Leadership Team, ACEC,
A&E Consultants
Background
Based on Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Disadvantaged Business
Enterprise (DBE) program requirements, the 2007 Disparity Study and a
USDOT waiver, ODOT has the ability to set DBE utilization goals on
contracts that include federal funding. For non-federally funded
projects, there are requirements for Minority, Women and Emerging Small
Business (MWESB) programs using aspirational targets. These goal setting
and reporting requirements apply to both construction and Architect and
Engineering (A&E) firm utilization, however, ODOT's focus has
traditionally been on only construction.
The most recent disparity study revealed ODOT's lack of available A&E
data, as compared to the availability of construction data, and
identified the need to place an emphasized focus on data collection and
review of A&E firm utilization. Without the data, ODOT and A&E firms
cannot clearly demonstrate the opportunities we provide to develop a
diverse workforce. The next disparity study is set to begin this month.
While the process to collect the A&E data currently exists in our
contracting documents, we as an agency have not applied it consistently
for A&E and have focused on construction data. A team of Project
Delivery, Civil Rights and Procurement Office staff has worked over the
past two months to refocus the process for A&E data collection and to
develop online guidance to implement. We have made one change to require
this process as part of payment processing. Please refer to the online
A&E Subcontractor Utilization Data Tracking Guide
<http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/CS/CIVILRIGHTS/docs/SubcontractorUtilization
TrackingGuideFINAL.pdf.>  for details.
Action Required:
Effective immediately, my expectation is that we implement this protocol
for all new and currently open A&E contracts. In order to report
results, we will collect data for all payments made on contracts that
were open as of October 1, 2007. ODOT's project managers/contract
administrators will coordinate this effort. In the next few weeks, we
will provide more detailed information on the process to collect that
data.
If you have any questions regarding this process, please contact Michael
Cobb, Manager, Office of Civil Rights, Michael.a.cobb at odot.state.or.us,
503-986-5753, or Jill Miller, DBE/MWESB Program Manager, Office of Civil
Rights, c.jill.miller at odot.state.or.us, 503-986-4355.