[OMS_MANAGERS] Conversion of Downtown Core Streets from one way to a two way system

Karla Antonini karlaa at ci.hillsboro.or.us
Tue Aug 2 19:14:35 PDT 2011

Hello Main Street Managers:

I was wondering if there are any communities out there that can help me with this question:

We are considering converting our current transportation system from a one way system to a two way system for a variety of reasons, access to businesses, sustainability (can't get from here to there b/c you have to drive out of direction to get there), the transit system has a convoluted route due to our one way system, etc. Are there any communities out there that have returned their downtown core streets from a one way system to a two way system and found an increase in business activity and what was that increase? I am looking for any economic data or business case you can provide so I can make the case to council. The business community is all on board with the idea. You can email me directly at karlaa at ci.hillsboro.or.us<mailto:karlaa at ci.hillsboro.or.us> or call me at 503-681-6181. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Karla

Karla Antonini, AICP
Project Manager
City of Hillsboro