[OMS_MANAGERS] Time limit for Downtown Parking

Tiffany Estes tbestes at wholebraincreative.com
Sun Mar 6 14:42:57 PST 2011

Here's what's happened in Astoria:

Most parking in Astoria is 2 hour, this is street parking.  We also have a
"lot" in downtown that was being resurfaced and re-marked and the ADHDA
lobbied the City Council to extend the hours to 3 hour for half of the lot
and free (unlimited) parking on other half.  The reasoning was that visitors
might want to do shopping and dining in same visit and 2 hours might not be
enough time to enjoy both.  We suggested that half of the lot should be free
for employees of downtown.  The City Council agreed with our suggestions.
However, in the wintery seasons, the 3 hour spaces are often vacant and
citizens are upset that they cannot park there.  There is a proposal that
has yet to be presented to City Council and the Police Dept. to have a
lottery for these spaces in the winter months when we do not have so many
visitors., thus generating some income for the city for the lot and making
the citizens a little happy.

One of the challenges to having two different time restrictions for parking
I have noticed is that unless highly differentiated the visitors will be
confused. And citizens will be confused.  Clearly marked lots and areas are
crucial to less confusion for all.

(Dulcye Taylor, ADHDA VP)

Tiffany Estes
Whole Brain Creative, Inc.