[or-roots] Jackson County families

Wordsmith wordsmith at grrtech.com
Tue Aug 27 14:52:16 PDT 2002

Greetings, listers,

I am collecting information on several Jackson County families while
recuperating after surgery. So far I've put together notebooks containing
obits, death certs, cemetery photos and/or  marriage certificates as well as
locally-obtained stories and newspaper clippings, when available, about
these families.

This project started innocently enough about six months ago when someone
asked me for information about his grandmother, who had married into the
PENCE family. I had heard of Richard Pence's website for his one-name study
of Pences, sent him some information I had, and realized that there were
several families linked by marriage who were in the Sam's
Valley-Antioch-Beagle and Trail-Elk Creek-McLeod-Flounce Rock areas of
Jackson County. I then pulled out other information I'd kept from RAOGK
inquiries over the past couple years and the whole thing just got completely
out of hand :) Since scrolling through microfilm or paging through old files
is not terribly strenuous, I've acquired more material, but am always
looking for more, particularly photographs of family members (publicly
available pictures are scarce) and personal information that would flesh out
the dry born-married-died statistics. Most of the families arrived in the
Rogue Valley between about 1850 and 1900, homesteaded here and had a hand in
developing their communities.

While most of the information I'm acquiring is along specific family lines,
I have also made copies of information on folks of the same surname that may
or may not be related. They all belong to someone, somewhere.

Here are the families:

ASH

CUSHMAN

DAWSON

HOUSTON

KNIGHTEN (sometimes spelled KNIGHTON)

PENCE

RAGSDALE

RAIMEY (also spelled RAMEY, RAINEY, etc.)

TRUSTY

WARNER

WINNINGHAM

Several of the families had members who went elsewhere, particularly the
Eugene, Salem and Portland areas, including TRUSTY, RAIMEY and KNIGHTEN.

If anyone has information on these families that they'd like to share for
inclusion in the notebooks, please send it along. Thanks for the assistance,
and if I can make copies for someone from what I already have, I'd be more
than happy to share.

Elizabeth

Eagle Point, Oregon, USA