[or-roots] Re: Wasco County

cchouk cchouk at cox.net
Mon Dec 30 16:27:22 PST 2002

Dorothy, et al:

The USGS National Mapping Service web site has information on many
"historic" towns.  It's not responding at this moment, but the URL is:

Query Form For The United States And Its Territories
http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnis/web_query.gnis_web_query_form

The town where my father was born ( in 1909 at Lomonta, OR), is one
of them.  If you have a GPS gizmo you can drive to just about any place
in the US with the latitude/longitue data you will get from USGS!  Lomonta
no longer exists, but I know exactly where it was.  :-)

The USGS web site gets heavy use at times, but if you keep trying you may
find information that is not available (at no cost) elsewhere.

Good hunting,
Cecil

Cecil Houk, ET1 USN Ret., AG6I
PO Box 530833
San Diego CA 92153
res San Diego CA 92154-3654
NEW EMAIL ADDRESS mailto:cchouk at cox.net
ANDERSON-BLAKELY-EGGERS-FORD-HOUK-KIMSEY-MONTGOMERY-RULAFORD-SIMPSON
Searchable GEDCOM: http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/~cchouk
See also: http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/~donhouk
My Web pages menu: http://members.cox.net/cchouk/