[or-roots] Message from List Mom

SAWYER Layne G Layne.G.Sawyer at state.or.us
Thu Feb 14 16:03:44 PST 2002

Dear Rooters,

Happy Oregon's Birthday.

To celebrate we have added 1,100 new entries to the Portland Birth Index.  These are the records for the year 1901.  As you may recall the state of Oregon did not require the creation of birth records until 1903. The city of Portland had a separate ordinance that required the creation of these records.  Hence we have some birth records for this city only that are now more than 100 years old and available for public research.

The link to the search screen is below.

http://sos-venus.sos.state.or.us:8080/arc_prod/web_search_birth_index.search

I have caught up on the various error messages and hope that things are functioning okay for the remainder of the list.  Please feel free to contact me if you have any ongoing problems.

The new list software does allow attachments but I would caution everybody not to send attachments to the list.  It is possible to spread viruses via attachments without intending to do so.  If attachments become an issue I will begin to monitor the list more closely and take appropriate remedial action.

Thank you all for your patience and cooperation during this transition.

Regards,

Layne Sawyer
"List Mom"
Oregon State Archives