[or-roots] Re: the Vanport site was excellent

cchouk cchouk at cox.net
Sat Mar 16 17:40:42 PST 2002

Joan and all the others:

This site about the Columbia Slough and Vanport reminded me that I have
been "in" the Columbia Slough.

In 1957 I was a senior in high school and work in the TV shop of Harold
Ellsworth.  His shop was on NE Broadway just a few blocks from my
school (US Grant Hi).  Harold built a cartop boat, and I went with him
for the maiden voyage.

Dear Harold made two serious mistakes when he made that boat.  The
controls for throttle and stearing were backwards!  We put the boat in
the water and pushed off.  He started the engine.....

We went about 10 feet before the boat turned over and dumped us in
the water.  This happened VERY fast.  The only thing we lost was the
bag of hamburgers that was to be our lunch out on the Columbia River.

I never again went "swimming" with Harold.

Cecil
mailto:cchouk at cox.net