[or-roots] Message from Oregon State Archivist

SAWYER Layne G Layne.G.Sawyer at state.or.us
Fri May 17 10:45:12 PDT 2002

To our users:

Today the Archives Division filed an amendment to the Oregon Administrative Rules that revises the fees we charge. When you review these fees, please understand that none of these increases apply to those of you who come to the Archives Building to do your research.

In the past, our fees reflected our costs in supplies and equipment. Now they also include our staff costs. Because of the budget cuts the Archives has taken, we must recover some of our staff costs from the fees we charge. We determined these fees by careful study and analysis of the actual time it takes to perform the work, as well as costs in equipment, supplies and postage.

Please direct your comments to me by e-mail at roy.c.turnbaugh at state.or.us or by mail at Archives Building, 800 Summer St. NE, Salem, Oregon 97310. A hearing on these rule changes has been scheduled for 10 a.m., June 19, 2002, at the Archives Building. Again, I regret that these measures are necessary and I thank you for your support and understanding.

Roy C. Turnbaugh
State Archivist

Text of proposed rule amendment:

166-010-0016
Archives Division Fees
(1) Ready Reference requests -  no charge.
Includes requests for information that can be answered by staff without leaving their workstation or by consulting basic reference tools such as finding aids, tracing binders, or reference books.
(2) Basic records request - $5 in-state; $10 out-of-state. This includes copying charges, postage and supplies. It applies to one-page documents.  A Basic Records Request must provide an exact citation to a record (e.g., a citation from the death index, a record listed in the on-line index) in the custody of the Archives Division.
(3) Basic Case File Request -  $10 in-state; $15 out-of-state. This includes up to 10 photocopies, postage and supplies.  Additional photocopy pages are charged at .75 cents per page. A Basic Case File Request must provide an exact citation to a record in the custody of the Archives Division.
(4) Other Requests - $5 out-of-state. In addition, all other requests will include labor charges and copying, supply and postage charges when incurred.
(5) Labor charges - $30 per hour charged in  $5 (10-minute) increments.  There is a maximum of $120 (four hours labor) for any request.
(6) Photocopies
Copies made by the customer - 25 cents per page.
Copies made by Archives Division staff - 75 cents per page.
(7) Fax - 75 cents per page.
(8) PDF - 75 cents per page.
(9) Audio Tape duplication
Cassette to cassette duplicates- $6 per cassette.
(10) Certification - $5 per certification.
(11) Digital Imaging
Copy of existing tiff file to CD-ROM, Zip Disk, or FTP - $15 per file copied
Digital Color Inkjet prints - $10.
Scan from original archival record (300 dpi unless otherwise requested) - $20 per scan.
(12) Reproduction by Outside Vendor - $10 handling fee.