[or-roots] Re: Aikens Pioneers in Roseburg, OR

Bill & Chris Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 20 10:21:13 PST 2002

obit - Joseph Aiken, Sumpter, OR, 1900

As a follow-up on this Aiken family, I posted this obit on GenForum a
while back, not having made a connection to this family, but now see
that they are:

The Morning Democrat, Baker City, OR; 22 Apr 1900

DEATH OF JOSEPH AIKEN

Was Sick With Pneumonia at Sumpter. To Be Buried in Salem.

Word was received here Thrusday night (19 Apr 1900) of the sudden death
at Sumpter of Joseph S. Aiken. He died of pneumonia, after an illness of
only twelve hours, and his death was a great shock to his wife, who has
been stopping with her sister, Mrs. Homer H. Hallock in this city, and
was not aware of his illness. The deceased was a man of genial, kindly
disposition and had many friends.

His brother, John C. Aiken, a capitalist of Roseburg, Oregon, was with
him at his death and will take his remains to Salem, where he will be
buried by the side of his parents, who were old and highly respected
pioneers of Southern Oregon. Mrs. Aiken will accompany the body from
here on No.1 tomorrow and will take with her the sympathy of a large
number of friends to whom she has endeared herself during her stay in
Pendleton. - East Oregonian.

(at the moment, I do not recall my source for the copy of this obit,
sorry ...)

Bill Strickland