[or-roots] Issuing a Call For Authors

swassell at arcadiapublishing.com swassell at arcadiapublishing.com
Wed Oct 9 08:52:24 PDT 2002

My name is Sarah Wassell, and I am an editor for Arcadia Publishing's West
office. I am currently looking for local historians,
genealogists, authors, and researchers who are interested in authoring a
title in our acclaimed Images of America pictorial history series. The
series seeks to relay the history of a particular city, town, or county
through the use of vintage photographs and postcards, with accompanying
captions and text. To date, we have published over 150 titles in this
series in the American West, and beginning last year, a number of titles in
the Pacific Northwest, covering a variety of cities such as Seattle,
Kennewick, and Issaquah in Washington; and Baker City and Sweet Home in
Oregon. Throughout the country, we have published over 1,600 titles.

I thought many of the members on this list could help me with locating
local authors or historians in the states of Washington or Oregon who might
be interested in an opportunity to publish their local history at no
charge. Any ideas or thoughts on more effectively reaching the right
parties is much appreciated.

Arcadia is a non-vanity press, absorbing the entire cost of the publishing
process, including editing, production, sales, and marketing of the book.
We pay authors/organizations a royalty on every book sold. Because of this
arrangement, we have worked with hundreds of historical societies, museums,
preservation groups, and local authors/historians to raise funds and
publicity for their organizations and preservation causes. It is very
rewarding work.

Please feel free to contact me at the below numbers. Thank you very much
for your help, and I look forward to hearing from you!

Sarah Wassell
Acquisitions Editor
Arcadia Publishing
3047 N. Lincoln Ave, Suite 410