[or-roots] Coos County Land Records/Douglas Co Obits

mcole at coral.org mcole at coral.org
Sun Sep 8 11:36:46 PDT 2002

Hello--
I'm new to the list and to Oregon Research.  I'm wondering if someone can
help suggest some next steps on tracking some Coos & Douglas County
ancestors: Lewis, Albert & Laura St. Ores.

I have a BLM land purchase record from the Roseburg land office for 12
acres in Coos County to L Stores 6-20/1872. (quite likely ST. ORES)

And I have a death notice for Laura St. Ores from a Wisconsin newspaper
(her former home) that she died Feb 9, 1878 at Gardiner City, Douglas Co.
The obit indicates that her husband Albert St. Ores died 3 years before, 3
days later her mother died and six months later her father.  Its possible
that her parents were Lewis & Pluma St. Ores (or they could be Albert's
parents.  It gets so confusing when cousins with the same name marry)

The had a number of children including Abner St. Ores & Pluma St. Ores (who
married John Mackey).

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to get more information.
Would there likely be obituaries in Gardiner City Newspaper for Laura St.
Ores?

Thanks for your help.
Marina Cole