[or-roots] html versus cuneiform

Leslie Chapman khanjehgil at presys.com
Sun Apr 27 22:31:23 PDT 2003

Cecil & Walt;

I think you may be missing the point, guys. As I understand it the problem
isn't what folks have their program set to, I may be wrong, but as I
understand it it is digest that gives folks fits and the reason is that the
archiving system doesn't accept anything but plain text, so if you send cute
email to the list, when it gets archived it becomes 9 parts gibberish and
one part readable text which understandably upsets some folks. Now I know it
would be nice if we all could unconditionally indulge in our little
whimsical flourishes, but you have to remember the State of Oregon is having
a bit of a budget crisis and the last big news I recall about our dear
government upgrading a computer system was DMV which ended up with something
like a 20% cost overrun for a system that was so bad they had to stop
ticketing folks for suspend plates and licenses for 6 months or something (I
wouldn't exaggerate of course)

My point is that all the fancy stuff takes up a lot of disk space, and if
you don't believe that try saving a plain text file in MS Word and notepad
and compare file sizes, JUST to illustrate, everything before the just in a
word text doc is 21 KB, as a notepad doc is 2 KB. Therefore the state folks
are stuck with such economy measures, so somebody has to give, either those
folks who don't get html email have to put up with it or youse guys have to
give em a break cause the poor miseraboble state of Oregon ain't agonna fix
it fer ya.

Sheesh, listen to dat, I musta had too much whine to drink.

sorry, just had to put in my two bits.

les C

P.S. the Alfed e touch was cute.