[or-roots] Watkins, Spittler, Stegmeir, Terhune

Diane elder at presys.com
Sun Aug 3 18:55:28 PDT 2003

Hello All,
I am still searching for family in the Lane County area.  Family tradition says that David Washington Watkins lived and died in the Springfield area.  He died 4 June 1889 in Springfield, Lane County, Oregon.  I have not been able to find a cemetery location.  He raised his grandchildren:  Ida Josephine Spittler, Perry Osborne Spittler, Emma Lou/Emma/Ella Spittler.  Ida first married a Mathews, then Elder.  Perry's wife was Elizabeth Diana Brown and Emma/Ella/Ellen married John Stegmeir.  After his death she married a Mr. Terhune.  The last names could be spelled differently.

Does anyone have any information on any of them.  I have much information on Ida's second marriage to Elder, but know nothing about the first one to Mathews.

The reason that David W. Watkins raised his grandchildren's is that their mother and his wife, the grandmother, died the same day in Missouri.  The children's father left in grief.  Understand he later remarried and had another family.  Cannot prove that, tho.

Also, is there an Washington Roots like Or-Roots?

Many thanks, Diane