[or-roots] Batzner & Stiennon Obits

Bill & Chris Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 7 11:32:32 PDT 2003

scharlson at bctonline.com wrote:

> You can write or call the Tillamook County Pioneer Mueseum. They have
> old obituaries from the Tillamook papers.

There have been some excellent suggestions for researching the Batzner
obituaries -- what a great list!

These are really wonderful folks at the museum -- most helpful indeed!
And a great Tillamook County resource. They even have a 'club' of
Pioneers that you can join for a nominal cost, if you were born or lived
in Tillamook County before 1963 (forty years ago). We had business at
the Tillamook County Fair recently, where we met a Wayne Jensen, a
wonderfully helpful fellow and the retiring director of the Pioneer
Museum. He gave Chris & I excellent direction for some genealogical
research while we were there. I have been in communication with the
requesting party with the Batzner information that I did find.

However, the Museum's 'Family Files' are not exhaustively inclusive and
do not include John Batzner's obit ...

Nor does the Tillamook Headlight for April 7th, 14th, & 21st, 1922 (at
least that I could find). The County Library did not have film of the
Herald (the other Tillamook paper of the era) for the right dates, or if
they did they could not find it. They also couldn't find their CD of the
ODI. The museum would perhaps have been a better place to do this, even
if their microfilm photocopier is a bit 'touchier' than the one at the
county library, but by this time they were closed.

Chris's gg grand parents, Casmir and Josephine Stiennon, are buried in
the cemetery right in front of the fairgrounds. their son Eli is in an
unmarked grave in the same lot (# 22). We would be interested in any
information on the three other unmarked gravesites in this lot. We found
Casmir's obit in the Headlight, but the papers for Josephine's death
dates were not included in the microfilm, reason unknown (17 Jan 1910,
ODI).

Bill Strickland
Oregon City, OR