[or-roots] 1880 census online

Leslie Chapman khanjehgil at presys.com
Sat Dec 6 21:42:19 PST 2003

Chris;

Yes, it does make it easier to transcribe correctly if you know what the
word is to begin with, it was interesting though that some of the examples I
gave I forgot to give the transcribers credit where it was due the only
transcriber error I cited was the Rockwood one. I don't really know why but
Alfred was responsible for most of my problems. I am not sufficiently
conversant with the local history to know for sure but am fairly confident
that he was quite literate as he came from a well to do family who had a
business locally as well as being the farmers for whom Reedsport is named. I
am jumping to confusion here though as I don't know for a fact that he was
from that family but am just assuming it as it was a small town then unlike
now with our tremendous area population of nearly 6000 people in which pool
unrelated familys with the same surname are more common. At that time it was
just about universal that anyone here with your surname was kin. Of course
with intermarriage any of us still here in those families are all
interrelated regardless of surname. I was surprised to learn from my 2nd
cousin once removed my dentist that the local Native American family Macy
are something or other cousins too thanks to his ggreat Uncle.

I am wandering again, forgive me, my early oldtimers is acting up. Anyway
why Alfred didn't know how to spell so many of the local names may be that
he was just an indifferant speller, or he didn't have my appreciation for
correct spelling. (okay I know I send lots of typos here, but only because I
am too lazy to use spell checker or am just not paying attention)

Anyway if any transcribers were feeling insulted, I apologize, as that
wasn't my intention. I have spent many days in front of the Coos Bay Library
screen searching for kin and greatly appreciate what a job it is, especially
if you are trying to transcribe a marked up census like one our local ones
is. I don't know what it was all about but about every third line someone
scrawled some numbers and letters across the given name, sex and age
columns. So far I haven't hit family that was so treated, but I bleed for
folks who track down their kin on those pages only to not be able to tell
what the given name etc of some of them were unless they get a real good
copy to work with.