[or-roots] Are you still there?

Leslie Chapman khanjehgil at presys.com
Wed Dec 17 11:12:02 PST 2003

Okay, positively last remark from me until someone has a genuine query I
feel like resonding to, did any of you folks from the Ashland - Medford
neighborhood know my something or other cousins who were there for years.

9.  THOMAS DUANE3 FOSTER (ZACHARY TAYLOR2, DAVID C.1)64 was born 22 May 1888
in Stonebank, Wi65,66, and died 16 May 1970 in Ashland, Oregon67,68.  He
married TESSIE MAE THORNE68 28 May 1911 in Cottage Grove, Lane Co.,
Oregon68.  She was born 13 December 1892 in Latham, Lane Co., Or68, and died
18 December 1972 in Ashland, Oregon68.

Children of THOMAS FOSTER and TESSIE THORNE are:
	i.	BILL4 FOSTER69.
	ii.	KIETH FOSTER69.
	iii.	SHIRLEY FOSTER69, m. BOB ASHER69.
	iv.	GORDON FOSTER69, b. 18 January 1917, St. Helens, Oregon70; d. 16 July
1980, Mitchell, Oregon70.
19.	v.	RICHARD GRANT FOSTER, b. 22 January 1923, Cottage Grove, Lane Co.,
OR; d. 22 June 2001, Junction City, Lane Co., Oregon.

I may have mentioned this before but when I was about 22 Aunt Tess showed up
at the Chapman ranch in Cottage Grove and I had spent my whole life hearing
stories about Uncle Happy and Aunt Tess. I don't even know for sure if I
have Happy in my genealogy. Anyway they were real characters and everyone
always talked about them in past tense and in stories about my paternal
gramma who died two years before I was born. I assumed they were all plante
more or less the same time and never registered the one or two times in my
life that someone mentioned them in present tense so when this woman
introduced herself to me as my "Aunt Tess" my jaw dropped and without
thinking I said "I thought you were dead!" So you can see why when the
subject of telling folks things tactfully came up in a district meeting once
while I was working for the FS everyone understood when I volunteered to
teach folks about it cause I had lots I hadn't used yet.

Les Chapman

sorry, don't remember how to say Merry Christmas in Turkish