[or-roots] How did they get here? A transportation querry

Leslie Chapman khanjehgil at presys.com
Mon Dec 22 16:57:35 PST 2003

Couldn't resist trying Dorothy's suggestion;

Richard Goodman;	from

http://www.peak.org/~mransom/a2m.html

***************

Train from MO 1864
  Author: jacquie heiberg  Date: 11 Jan 2003 5:43 AM GMT
  Classification: Query
Post Reply | Mark Unread | Report Abuse   Print Message
The following people were members of a wagon train leaving Missouri in May
1864 on the Oregon Trail. Arabella Clemens Fulton, a member of that train,
included these names in her journals and later compiled a book, "Tales of
the Trail" which is available (with index) at the LDS library. Arabella
settled in Idaho, as did several of the others included here. In addition to
these people in her immediate group, many of the people named as Idaho
friends and acquaintences had traveled the Trail on earlier trains. Arabella
lived in Texas in the 1880s and many Texas families are also included in her
book.

Freeman Goodman, Train Captain
Adeline Clemens, Angeline Clemens, Tom Jones, James Purdin, "Colonel"
Flournoy, Caley Purdin, Lucinda Purdin, Sally Taylor, Benton Hubbard, Mrs.
Galbraith(Galbrath), Mrs. Godman(Goodman), Mr. and Mrs. Dryden and 8
children (1 dau. named Lucy - 1 Dau. named Mary - both married after
arriving in ID)

from;

http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/mbexec/message/5538/topics.migration.oregon-tra
il/103

*******************************
GOODMAN, James H.
GOODMAN, John B.		from
discussion of DLC records as source of wagon train arrivals;

http://pw1.netcom.com/~symbios/gfo52.html

***************

A fellow Goodman chaser;

From:          Joan Archibald <joanarc at netwiz.net>

Subject:       Grave sites for Arthur Howard and Jennie Thomas Goodman
from;
http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/OREGON/1998-10/0908172639

*****************

http://www.waldsfe.org/UnitStudies/WestwardMovement.htm
contains a short bibliography of pioneer transportation sources including 5
or 6 wagon train books

**************

"I have tried to keep track of the members of our wagon train, but most of
them have crossed the Last Divide.  Uncle Hughie Goodman, head of the
Goodman clan, had three grown sons.  They were big bodied with powerful
shoulders and long legs, and were quiet, sober, God-fearing men, who did
their share and then some, and were afraid of nothing.  Then there were the
Pollards and the Briagans.  Uncle George Taylor's sister married Jim
Longmire.

from;

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/waltcr/ji-ints.htm

Subject: Re: [or-roots] How did they get here? A transportation query

Well I gotta go pursue one of my buttonhole cousins before the wife comes
home and chains me up in the kitchen.

Looks to me like you have a long search, lots of info on Goodmans, I have a
family of Melvins that came by Wagontrain before 1858 and I can't get a
clue, not even to whether in fact they came through Oregon as we believe or
came to California. The only clue is a legend that they travelled with a
Mrs. Barnes,

Les Chapman

Quoting dgoodma02 at comcast.net:

> My mother (Cora Belle Dye) was born in Missouri (near or in Joplin) in
> 1895
> and was married in Oregon abt 1920,(I was born In 1928). Also my
> father(Duane Cecil Goodman) was born in 1897 in Lyons Oregon.  My
> Grandfather (Prince W. Goodman) was born in 1876 in Linn Co. Oregon. My
> grandmother Goodman (Corabelle McLane) was also born Linn Co Oregon in
> 1878.  OK, The question is--How did they travel out to the West?  Did
> the Railroads extend to the Oregon Washington (Oregon Territory) during
> that time?  Or did they most likely come most of the way on the Oregon
> Trail by Wagon?  It appears to me that my Father's family was out in
> Oregon considerably earlier than the Dyes.
> I know I"m asking for an educated guess..
> Any Ideas?
> Thanks,
>  Bob

Bob;
Have you tried the lists of people on the wagon trains?  I'm sure I saw some
Goodmans on at least one list. I noticed because when I was growing up on
the Oregon coast, there were some Goodmans in Waldport, Or.  I understand
they came over on some of the wagon trains.

Dorothy Webb
kat1928 at integrity.com
_