[or-roots] Update on Missing Great Grandmother

Eugene Melvin ED_Melvin at msn.com
Fri Dec 26 11:10:45 PST 2003

Dear List Members,

            Last month I asked for help in locating my "Lost" Great Grandmother.  At that time the only clues I had was that she died in Oakland, California in 1930.  She had left my Great Grandfather in 1906 and he had their marriage annulled then.  The one other clue was a reference to her as "Songer" on a death certificate I had found.

            Now the update, I had a chance to go the Sacramento and while there I stop by the California State Library at 9th and O Street.  After a couple of minutes there I followed up on my clues and had a possible hit.  I immediately went over to the California Department of Health Service Vital Records office and order a death certificate for Alice D. Songer.

The next day I got it and it was what I was looking for.  I then went back to the State Library and put in her second husband name and found a lot of information I otherwise was unable to locate earlier.

            I have been busy for the holidays but I will continue my research after the New Year.  I wanted to thank all those who email me with suggestions.  And to let everyone on this list know that I for one enjoy reading all the emails.  Especially when they mentions a web site.  IE the recent comment about early Oregon settlers, I qualified and did not know it.  Again thanks.

Eugene Melvin

Portland, Oregon