[or-roots] Re: Census Records, Marks family

SwimRef34 at aol.com SwimRef34 at aol.com
Fri Dec 26 20:56:05 PST 2003

Barb,
     You have missed my point here. My suggestion was absolutely NOT to use
the recently compiled online (familysearch.org) & CD index done by the LDS
Church, the quality of this work varies very widely. In the case of Montana and
other very rural areas it is very poor, in other cases not too bad, but in EVERY
case it is inferior by a wide margin to the Soundex microfilms from the
Census Bureau. Large numbers of people in the 1880 census cannot be found using the
LDS index, in the majority of cases these can be located using the much more
accurate microfilmed Federal index cards. Microfilm rolls of the Soundex cards
can be used at any branch of the National Archives, and can be ordered into
any Family History Center and many public and private libraries.
     Online genealogy is a great thing, and fast and convenient for sure, but
sometimes we need quality that is simply not available online. In this
particular case I did look for the family in the LDS index at familysearch, and was
not at all surprised that they did not appear to be indexed. Since they almost
certainly were enumerated in the census, it is time to use a more accurate
search technique.

Kevin Fraley

In a message dated 12/26/2003 6:56:15 PM Pacific Standard Time,