[or-roots] Snow, Floods, Etc VanPort)

JudyRobertson39 at aol.com JudyRobertson39 at aol.com
Mon Dec 29 18:47:46 PST 2003

Yes, I admit it I am old enough to remember the Vanport Flood.  My vantage
point was Eastern Oregon-spent the spring and summer on my grandparents farm at
Fossil.  The year may have been 1948 instead-I am not sure.  Anyway, the news
came that the flood had washed out the dike and lots of people had been
killed.  The same summer there were many many thunderstorms in Eastern Oregon and
several flash floods that took out houses and drowned people.  I was about 8 so
the specifics are rather hazy.  Like the winter of 49'-50' it was pretty darn
severe.