[or-roots] Snow, Floods, Etc

JudyRobertson39 at aol.com JudyRobertson39 at aol.com
Mon Dec 29 19:03:30 PST 2003

I too recall the winter of 1968-69.  We lived in Spokane in our first home.
My husband was traveling on the road in his work in those days and by spring I
was a nervous wreck.  We had a beautiful mild fall.  tomatoes from the garden
at Thanksgiving and roses still blooming about the same time.  Sun shone
gloriously on Christmas Day.  By New Year's weekend it was 42 below zero in Moscow
Idaho and not a lot warmer in Spokane.  It did not warm up till March and
there was still unmelted snow on the north side of 5 mile prairie on April 15th.
We shoveled the snow off of the roof of the house and then walked off the
roof onto the piles that surrounded the house.  At one point UPI said Spokane had
more snow on the ground than anywhere in the lower 48.  I believe the
official total was 45 inches.  (there was 92 inches as I recall in 49-50)  But in 68
the stuff just would not melt.  When the plows finally came by and plowed our
street we wound up with 4' of solid ice in the driveway.  Lots of flu that
year and people with cars that would not start because it was so extremely cold.