[or-roots] Re: Early Douglas County

judikat judikat at teleport.com
Wed Feb 12 12:24:20 PST 2003

Hello,

I, too, have early Douglas County, Oregon roots (actually, 1852-1972).  My
research is focused on the WALKER-HUNTLEY families (and later, HAYES) of
Douglas Co:

William Wallace WALKER (1829-1901) m 1853 to Rebecca Henrietta HUNTLEY
(1837-1907).  I have the descendants (researched and documented) of the two
families as well as the ancestors back to my 1801 KY WALKER Brick Wall.  WWW
took out an Oregon Donation Land Claim in Douglas Co in 1852.  Joseph
HUNTLEY took out an ODLC but did not settle in Douglas Co permanently. He
stayed a short time and moved on to the Prineville area and later to MT.  He
was murdered for his mule team and money in Idaho on his return to MT--he
was 80 years old.

There is a Douglas Co mailing list that isn't very active as well as a
Douglas Co website at USGenWeb.    I would love to see discussion of early
Douglas County life from reliable sources.  Unlike the Alaskan researcher, I
can get to Douglas Co in two hours.  There's lots there to see.

As a matter of fact, there is a good book on Oregon research by Connie
Lenzen, a longtime expert on Oregon resources.  You can check through the
Genealogy Forum of Oregon in Portland or just run a Google search:
www.gfo.org  or www.google.com

Meanwhile, for online researchers, I recommend this path:  www.usgenweb.org
Click on states' link, then go to OR.  While there, look at the links,
especially that of the archives.  You can discover what is at the archives
for Douglas Co.  Go to the county links, click the one for Douglas Co and
poke around.  Have fun!

Incidentally, the format I object to is wading through all the html and mime
jibberish.  Whatever happened to plain text?

judikat at teleport.com
in Southern Oregon (where rain isn't happening)