[or-roots] reply

Cecil Houk cchouk at cox.net
Sun Feb 16 23:56:52 PST 2003

I'm sorry this did not get past the mail guard the first time.

Beth:

Now that you have aired this "dirty laundry" to the world with your
cc's....  May I add:

QUOTE

THIS IS NOT A COMPUTER LIST
I have ask many times to stop this ranting.
This is the SAME thing I told you to do , change your plain text settings

you WILL moderated on the very next message to the list that is not Oregon
History, I am tired of all the complaints I am getting and have on several
occasions been ask to remove you.
   3 people have already left.

stop = now = this is not your call on MY list. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
last chance
OREGON-adim

UNQUOTE

And 5 milliseconds later I was unscribed from OREGON-L.  Too bad
Dan took his marbles and went home.

You have failed to recognize that unless people have been made aware
of some defaults in OE, that when people try to pass on to others a URL
such as:
http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=cchouk&id=I00002
(which happens to be my father's entry in my GEDCOM)
it ends up as:
http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=cchouk&
id=I00002
or
http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=cchouk&
id=I00002
after going through a *.rootsweb.com list.

No big deal.  So what if the URL doesn't work because it's fragmented.  I offered
the directions to fix this and I have been 86'd because I DID IT!

The bottom line is that I have found that I have 70MB of web space through my
ISP, and will be moving my web pages there in the weeks to come.  I will monitor
*.rootweb.com mailing lists, but will not be active on them.  I will not (and do not)
dis rootsweb.com; but I will not be a party to this garbage.

I will not remove my GEDCOM from WorldConnect Project because I think
THAT would be stupid - indeed.  But, I do not have to tolerate "narrow minded"
nazi's on the mailing lists.

The ball is in your court Beth.  I'm sure you can get RootsWeb to dump me
within the hour.  But be advised that I'll be at: http://members.cox.net/cchouk/
in the next half hour!  All of those files that I've been working on for the past
several years have been burned onto CD-ROMs.  As soon as I get Cute FTP
re-installed on this computer...  they will be out of your control!

Now.  See what you have started?

Cecil in San Diego